vatican museum and sistine chapel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am leaving for Rome this Sunday (YEAH!), and want to see the Vatican Museum - I know that we can make reservations for Museums in Florence, but can we do it for the Vatican?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Monica
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:41 AM

I didn't have reservations for the museums a few weeks ago, and it was fine. I don't think they even sell them, but I'm not sure.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:42 AM

Meant TAKE reservations, not SELL them.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:44 AM

No reservations necessary in my opinion. We went to the vatican museum last Monday, and waited in line for about 30 seconds to get in. If you are going to be there on a sunday though, make sure to be in St Peters square at noon, as the pope makes an address to the crowd from his apartment window. Unfortunately, we missed it but we met a Brittish couple in the hotel bar who had gone and showed us their video tape, and said that it was an experience no one should miss. <BR>
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:58 AM

We're going to Italy as well(this sunday too). <BR>Mishoe01,<BR>How did you get your reservations for Ufizzi and Academia in Florence? I went on one of the websites and it charges almost 5eu as additional on-line booking fee (!!!!). <BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Katie
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi Katie - our tickets were ordered on line....from everything I've heard about the lines, we didn't mind spending a little extra for the time saved. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:28 AM

You can't reserve tickets for the Vatican Museum in advance unless it's with a tour.<BR>I assume the previous poster is talking about the Florence museums.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Howard,<BR>Thanks for the info - I was afraid that we couldn't do it in advance unless part of a tour.<BR><BR>Anyone - is there a best time to go, with the least amount of people? We arrive Monday - so could do this Monday late AM or anytime PM, or probably leaning more towards AM on Tuesday.<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR>Monica
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:02 AM

We purchased our tickets for the Uffizi and Accademia in advance and were very glad we did. The lines in mid-March were quite long and we walked right in with the reservations. The premium paid was well worth it. We bought the tickets at: http://www.weekendafirenze.com/<BR><BR>Also, a word of advice for the Vatican/Sistine Chapel: get there as early as possible. Even before it opens, there are lines. And there is so much to see, that it is best to arrive fresh and get a head start.<BR><BR>Have a great time.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 10:54 AM

the last poster wasn't kidding. the lines for the Vatican Museum form well before the museum actually opens. My advice is to get the audio tour as well, quite good!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:11 AM

We emailed our Florence hotel to make museum reservations for us; however, at 4pm the day before our reservations we happened to walk by the Uffizi and since there was no line, we just walked right in.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:27 PM

We were in Italy about a month ago. We got to the Vatican Museum about the time it opened and there was already a line, but it was fairly short and moved very quickly. So, my advice is to get there early! Also, we made reservations in Florence as well. I just called the museums directly about 2 weeks before our trip. There is an english speaking operator and it is very easy. There is a fee involved (I think 1.50 euros per ticket) but I think that the websites charge a lot more for the service, so just call yourself. The numbers are in all of the guidebooks.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 10:19 PM

When we went to the Vatican Museums, we waited in line for about 20 minutes ( at the most) starting at around 11am. By the time we got out at 1pm, there wasn't a soul in line. Lunchtime seems like a good time to me. This WAS on a weekday, though (Friday).
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:49 PM

Was in Rome March 6-9. Line at Vatican was unbelievably long if you get there late. The museum opens at 10 am I think but even if you get there by 9 the line could be 3 or 4 blocks long. We stood for an hour before getting in. Lots of tour groups are in the lineup too, so I don't think they get specical treatment. Once inside it does not appear crowded until you get to the Sistine Chapel. Lineups at Florence museums is nothing by comparison, but you can reserve, your hotel can do it for you. Cost is 3 Euro per ticket which you pay when you show up for the tickets.<BR>
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I was in Rome last week. We went on a walking tour of the Vatican with Enjoy Rome, which was very informative. Their tours are scheduled for the Vatican Museums at noon because by then the lines are much shorter than they are in the morning. By the time our group walked to the museum from the meeting place at the metro station, there was no line at all.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:45 AM
PerfectCircles

We went to the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel last March. The best time to get there is around 11 in the morning on a weekday - most of the tour buses are gone by then and it takes very little time to get in.<BR><BR>And, spend the extra $ for the audio tape - it is a priceless experience. <BR><BR>Enjoy!