Itinerary for Southern Italy in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Southern Italy during the first two weeks of July. We will be basing ourselves in Catanzaro, Calabria, and will spend a few days there before touring around. We'll get there on Saturday, and will make our way to Naples on tuesday, spend one night there and drive down the Amalfi coast, spending one night in Positano and one night in Capri(These are just our initial thoughts). By Friday, we hope to be back in Calabria. We'll spend the weekend there, and then on Monday or Tuesday, drive to Taormina and spend a good 4 or 5 days there at a nice hotel with a pool near the beach. We are travelling with two boys (6 and 9). Need some opinions on the itinerary. Do you think it would be tough with the kids? Any suggestions on things to do while on the Amalfi coast, places to stay. Also in Taormina, any suggestions on accomodation and things to do in Sicily. Is the volcano active, has anyone been there. Do you need a tour etc.<BR>Please advise.<BR>
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:43 AM

I think it would be difficult to change hotels three nights in a row (Naples, Positano and Capri)even if you weren't bringing young kids. Why not base yourselves in one place like Sorrento where you can take the Circumvesuviano train to Naples and Pompeii (your kids will probably like Pompeii) and day trips to Positano and Capri. Sure Capri is best seen on an overnight at least, but if your time is limited I would pick one base and make daytrips rather than packing everyone up and moving every day. When you are in Taormina, note that the town is far above the beach and you will need to either drive down there, take a bus or the funicular to and from the beach. There are some moderate hotels in Giardini-Naxos which is on the water. Mt. Etna is active and its smoke can be seen easily on clear days. Recent small eruptions have limited access to the area near the crater. There are numerous hiking trails all around the mountain and you don't need a guide but there are several guided tours avaiable. However, in July, it will be an extremely hot and hard hike. You may enjoy a quick trip to the small village of Forza d'Agro, a few miles north of Taormina, where the Godfather movies were filmed.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

thanks Grinisa for your help. Is Taormina nice enough to sacrafice the beach. Is there enough to see in and around that area to keep us busy for 4 days?<BR>I liked your thought on basing in one city when we do the Amalfi coast. Which city would you recommend? Sorrento? I'd love something relatively in the middle of the coast that has good access by train or road to the day trip destinations.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Beside the beach, which is decent but overcrowded, there are several daytrips that you maight make from Taormina: Catania, Mt Etna (a climb on a volcano might suit your kids), Enna, Siracusa are all withing easy reach. A bit fuether awauy ou have Piaza Armerina and Agrigento. Watch out, you will need a car in Sicily!<BR>Also, as you make your way to Naples, you might consider stopping at Paestum and at the beach (one of the best in Italy) of Palinuro, in the Cilento National Park.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 10:00 AM

Given the choice, I would stay in Taormina over Giardini Naxos anyday; it is a beautiful town with incomparable views. I don't think the beach there is all that nice anyway. There is plenty to do around Taormina for four days. Another excursion would be to take a daytrip to Lipari (Aeolian Islands). There are some beaches there and it is an interesting trip. Considering that you would like to see Naples and Pompeii, possibly Herculaneum, and Capri, I would base in Sorrento for easy access to all of those places as well as Positano and Amalfi and Ravello. If you would like a town with a slightly nicer beach and gorgeous views, choose Positano. In July, you can take a ferry from Positano to Sorrento and then on into Naples, or get off in Sorrento and take the train to Pompeii and Herculaneum.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:05 PM

I loved Amalfi and Ravello. Great time riding a local bus to Ravello. Ravello has concerts- don't know if still going on in July but check- www.rcs.amalficoast.it
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi bock,<BR> You wrote<BR>&gt;I'd love something relatively in the middle of the coast that has good access by train or road to the day trip destinations.&lt;<BR><BR> Actually, the towns at each end, Sorrento and Salerno have the best access to day trip destinations.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:13 AM

I would agree with Sorrento is a good base for seeing the Amalfi coast. I dont think I would go to Pompeii with two young boys - if you want to see a roman site, Herculanum can be done in a half day and its a better preserved site with some of the houses still standing.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:19 AM
ira

Hi<BR> In addition to Herculaneum, you can visit Paestum; the oldest Greek ruins outside Greece.