Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vatican - how do you get papal audience tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 04:47 AM
Mike Miller

Interested in attending a papal audience. How do you get tickets. Also, I understand he does a mass once a week. How does one arrange to attend?

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 05:46 AM
Duck

Dear Mike... <BR>We are going to audience on Wednesday, October 13th. I wrote letter to: <BR> <BR>Prefecture of the Papal Household <BR>00120 Citta del Vaticano, Italy <BR> <BR>RE: Papal Audience <BR> <BR>In letter I told them we were English speaking, the date requested, name and address of hotel and names of party. Within a very short period of time we received a letter confirming that the tickets would be hand delivered to our hotel on Tuesday. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 09:00 PM
Pira

I heard that in summer the Pope resides at Castel Gandolfo, his summer villa. Is there gonna be any papal audience in August?

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 02:58 AM
Mike Miller

Thanks. Are the audiences only held on Wed?

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 04:45 AM
Mary

Check out www.santasusanna.org. Lots of info, and you can even make a reservation on line.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 04:57 AM
topper

!

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 11:03 AM
travel guy

Vatican news reports the Pope on summer vacation for 13 days starting July 9th. I think you can see him at the Weds. audience, and also on Sunday mornings. One is called the Angelus, and one the Regina Coeli, but I forget which is which. He only says public Mass on major feastdays like Easter and Christmas. Hope this helps.

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 02:52 PM
Robin

Papal audiences are on Wednesdays. On Sundays, they have an outdoor mass in St. Peter's Square and if he's in town, he'll come to the window to bless the crowd. He only presides over mass on Sundays on special occassions (Easter, Christmas or Beatification ceremonies). <BR>I was in Rome during Oct. 97 and we went to the outdoor service on Sunday (Oct. 12th) to 'get our blessing'. Unbeknownst to us, they were beatifying several people (one of the steps towards sainthood) and we were able to witness a full mass with the Pope, the choir, the Cardinals - it was an event! During the service, a phalanx of priests came down the aisle and you could come to the rail and take communion. I'm not Catholic, but did briefly consider joining in. It was a memorable experience for my visit to Roma.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:48 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 08:26 PM
michelle

I felt that I had to respond to Robin's post. I am a Catholic and I would like to remind everyone that our Communion is only for practicing Catholics. We believe that the Communion host is the body of Christ. Other religions do not share this belief and therefore are not supposed to receive communion. I don't know if people are aware of this. I'm sure that non Catholics would not want to offend anyone, but Communion is a sacred sacrament to us and nonbelievers really should not just "join in". <BR>