Varenna and Verona questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting excited as only 6 weeks to go until we depart for Italy!
We will be flying into Malpensa and will be spending 4 nights in Varenna and 4 nights in Verona.
At this stage we have a car rented but read several posts about the narrow roads between MXP and Varenna. How difficult is this drive? We have ordered a car with neverlost so at least we wont argue over directions!
We thought if we have a car we might venture out to Piedmont area or over the Swiss border one day. We also want to be able to explore some small toms around Verona.
The question are 1. would you keep the car or abort this plan for trains? 2. if we keep the car are there any day trips that you would say are a must in either area and lastly, 3. any restaurant or other reccomendations would be great. I have spent only one day on Lake Como in the past and am excited to be able to spend more time there. I have never been to Verona. The past trips have been spent in Tuscany as well as Rome and Venice. We are couting the days and know as always my fellow fodorites will come through with excellent advice! Thanks.

Old May 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM

I cannot honestly comment on the roadways between Milan and Varenna since I have only traveled that route by rail.

Are you sure you aren't talking about the road route between Milan and Bellagio?

I don't think you absolutely need a car in the mid-lake area since you can get back and forth to a lot of areas by ferry and even the public busses but I can see why you would want one in the Verona area.

I wouldn't give it up especially if you are staying at a hotel in Varenna which provides parking; those ferries only go so far.
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM

We've driven that route, and in and around Varenna, and didn't find it difficult. We had a car for the three nights we stayed in Varenna. Our hotel didn't have parking, so we parked on the outskirts of town--not a problem. The car came in handy on a day trip we took into Switzerland (went as far as St. Moritz). We enjoyed exploring the towns of Lake Como via boat, but if you want to venture farther afield, I'd recommend keeping the car.
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:27 PM

i love trains between major cities but the flexibilty a car gives me to investigate off the beaten path is a huge factor.

otherwise i feel i have to be much more organized and scheduled, which in a short time frame makes me a little anxious.

i would keep the car but make sure to get the most out of it by going to the precious small towns.

have good maps and be familiar with the geography of where you are going. pay attention to weather reports.. and above all, learn the parking codes.

some spaces are colored with limited times allowed.. and you need to put money in a machine to receive a paper you put on the dashboard.

Old May 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM

I can let you know when we get back, we pick up the car Saturday morning from MXP and drive to Varenna.
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Do you want restaurant recommendations in Verona?
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Soundske we will keep the ar.

Yes would love rettaurant reccoendations in either area Th all.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM

It's not a difficult drive but jetlag doesn't help. Have your directions sorted out in your head beforehand, that would make it easier. We decided to drive the western side of the Lake to Menaggio and then took the ferry to Varenna - easy.

The roads are narrow on the lake. I don't think I'd bother with a car again unless I was spending a full week. I believe you will find it parked much of the time - the boats are so easy. We were there three nights and expected to go to Lugano one day, and didn't.

An extra full day in our case may have made the car worthwhile. For that matter, had we already visited Lake Como once before and knew what wasn't worth the bother - in our case Como itself - we could have freed up a day to drive outside the Lakes. But why? There is so much to explore right there and it's so peaceful and restful.

I only think I'd go back to Como itself if we had a full week in the Lakes and had already seen everything else first. Or in order to go seaplaning.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM

ps. We ate at Barchetta in Bellagio which was quite good!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:48 AM

I've done that drive, and it was no problem at all. I recommend that you keep the car; it's worth having the flexibility