Search

Valle d'Aosta: any comments?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valle d'Aosta: any comments?

Hi again!

I'm still planning my next trip to Italy. I'm decided to go to Turin but I would also like to add another place. Liguria seems to be an obvious choice, but I don't feel like going there on my next trip. I've read a couple of articles about Valle d'Aosta and it seems to be an interesting region.

Has anybody ever been to Valle d'Aosta? What places are worth seeing in this region in early June?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM

We spent several days in July in the Valle D'Aosta several years ago. We went primarily to visit Grand Paradisio National Park, for hiking and birdwatching. Its a gorgeous area if you are interested in nature, wonderful hikes. There are also plenty of Roman ruins and castles, on the cultural side.

We stayed in Valnontey, just outside of Cogne. This is a big ski area in the winter but in the summer its filled with Italian, German, Swiss and French hikers (no Americans!) Aosta itself is well worth a visit.

The tourist bureau sent us a nice packet with maps and brochures.
http://www.regione.vda.it/turismo/default_e.asp

The only thing we really didn't care for much was the food--more German/Swiss than Italian!

Some photos can be seen on my website here:
http://www.jczinn.com/Italy/Italy%20...talyindex.html

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Aosta is a delightful surprise. Called "the Rome of the North", there are Roman ruins abundant. The surrounding area is scenic. We drove over St. Bernard's pass into Switzerland--a winding, twisting beautiful drive. Chamonix and Mont Blanc are nearby.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM
MaureenB

I believe there's a gondola ride you can take from Aosta to Chamonix, or maybe just to the summit and back down to Aosta. It is supposed to be beautiful. I saw packages when I Googled it several months ago. You can get a meal at the summit, too.
>-

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM

>>there's a gondola ride you can take from Aosta to Chamonix<< Not from Aosta, but from near Courmayeur.

Check out Chamois, an isolated hamlet reachable only by cable car. The Matterhorn caps the end of the valley in all its majesty.