Venice Hotel Metropole vs Europa Regina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I stayed at the Europa Regina a few years ago and it was wonderful. We are returning to Venice in April and someone has suggested the Hotel Metropole on the Grand Canal. Has anyone stayed there recently.
Thanks
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Last time in Venice I wanted to stay at the Metropole but it was full. But, went for drinks one night and dinner another - the interiors are beautiful. At night all large white candles lit and flowing white curtains. Great small bar. Also you can take a water taxi direct to the hotel, it opens up to a side canal.
Have fun -
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:38 AM

I expect that the Metropole is only about 2/3 of the price of the Europa Regina. Both are very nice but I do think that the area around the Europa is a bit less congested. The Metropole is directly on the Riva degli Schiavoni so it's front is not directly on the lagoon, rather it's on the wide street filled with tourists and then the lagoon. Views from up high will still be water filled and lovely but as you exit the hotel, you'll need to wade through hordes of tourists to be on your way. Europa and Regina has the most beautiful floating dock just off its bar where you can sit and have a drink and watch the gondoliers queue up to sing to their passengers and then look across the grand canal to the Santa Maria della Salute church. Go there for a drink even if you stay at the Metropole. The restaurant there is also more highly rated than the Metropole's. Both are lovely hotels.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Weekender

I was in Venice in early October 2006 and the crowds on the Riva around the Metropole during the day were unbelievable. We did have a drink at the Metropole and the public rooms of are lovely and very atmospheric. We originally had reservations at the Westin Europe & Regina but ended up at another hotel in part thanks to the very sketchy reviews on TripAdvisor.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Yes, you will have crowds (that's Venice!) but the Metropole is lovely. I use it often for clients and they are always pleased with the choice. Location can be beat!