Valencia - Mallorca Ferries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Spain in May to visit sites where we honeymooned 30 years ago. One of those places was Mallorca. Back then, we flew from Madrid to Mallorca. This time, we are renting a car and want to take the ferry from Valencia to Palma. I'm having a hard time finding information online about the ferries and hope someone here can help. Specifically, how long is the trip from Valencia to Mallorca? What is the approximate cost with the car? Which ferry company is best? What is the ferry schedule - departure and return times? We will only have 3 days/2 nights for this part of the trip due to other constraints. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM

You find that it would be far better to fly to Palma rather than take the ferry since you only have 3 days and 2 nights. Most of the time will be spend on the ferry, hardly what you had in mind.

Other than that, here are the main ferry websites to check out:

www.iscomar.com/
www.balearia.com/wps/portal/comercial
www.trasmediterranea.es/trasmeweb/inicio.do
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 01:28 AM

check put goldcar.com and drop off in valencia and get another one in palma. spain has little or no drop off fees many times.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 07:59 AM

There are overnight sailings from Valencia to Palma. If you book a cabin on the overnight ship, you will maximise your time in Mallorca.
The two ferry operators are Balearia and Acciona Trasmediterranea (Iscomar now only runs between Mallorca and Menorca).
You shouldn't need to take a car across on the ferry. If you cannot get around the island using the trains, buses and taxis, you can rent a car there.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Great - thanks so much!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM

Overnight ferries in good weather do have huge school groups on them that are singing and roaming the boat all night in the cheap seats. JFYI. These are not at all luxurious.. nor are the "cabins" fabulous. I'd take a 30 minute flight anyday over the night ferry, risking not sleeping well.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 12:13 AM

I doubt if you can take a hire car on a ferry. Most hire companies do not allow this. So check before planning this part of your trip.