Valencia - Las Fallas

Mar 6th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Valencia - Las Fallas

Hello! Have any Fodorites been to see Las Fallas in Valencia? If so, can you recommend any great places to take photos from? Any places to definitely avoid? Where to see the ninots during the day? Any other pieces of advice greatly and gratefully appreciated.
Thanks.
Mar 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM

I'm arriving on 15 March and will be scouting out some good spots. When will u be there?
Mar 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM

Fallas are everywhere!!!
Avoid riverbed before and just after fireworks, youngsters throwing large bangers to themselves and everyone who passes.

The city is packed, you won't feel alone at any time.

Ninots are the figures at the foot of the falla, in groups of scenes that gives sense to what the falla wants to represent and criticize.

Don't miss the main Special section fallas.
Ayuntamiento (out of contest), Convento, Pilar, Exposicion, Sueca, Pizarro, Cadarso, Regne Valencia, Cuba, Antiga Campanar, Nou Campanar (most expensive falla ever, cost 900.000 euros). You will get a lot of good pictures of these fallas.

I have taken many pictures every year and put then in this website. (pictures don't pretend to be professional, just to show the fallas) there is also routes and information

http://www.fotosfallas.com

I have put some pictures of this year ExpoNinot where one ninot of every fall i shown to the public. People votes their favorite to be saved from the flames. On day 14 this exposition is closed and ninots are carried out to their fallas. Pardoned Ninot is also an important attraction for the falla that shows it.

Don't miss:
Try Buñuelos with chocolate at Fabian (Ciscar street near Marques del Turia avenue)
Try Horchata at Santa Catalina, (square of the same name near the Plaza Redonda and Plaza de la Reina)
Try also Agua de Valencia (alcohol mix), many cafes and bars offers it along Calle Caballers and Plaza del Tossal.

Mascletas everyday at 14h, arrive 1h before to get a good spot. Street Mascletas in many places specially on day 19, smaller but louder.

Moor parade of Falla Cadarso day 19 at 19h. (best in valencia)
http://fallaalmirantecadarso.fallas....ros/morosv.htm

Moor parade (modest but easier to see) Falla Pizarro, day 16 at 22:30 along Pizarro street

Moor and Christians parade of Falla Plaza del Negrito near Plaza de la Virgen on day 19 at 19h easier to see than Cadarso parade.

Flower offering: days 17 and 18. See the virgin and square full of flowers on day 19

and of course the fireworks,
15->1am
16 and 17 -> 1:30 am
18->"nit del foc" at 1:30am

19 burning of fallas "crema".

official website
http://www.fallas.com
and information for tourists
http://www.fallasfromvalencia.com
Mar 10th, 2009, 03:55 AM

Just wondering where my post went!

Oh well.

If you fancy meeting up, I am USUALLY at the Hotel Meliá Plaza ( in the Plaza del Ayuntamiento) waiting for the 2 pm Mascletá.

Be sure to map out the top category ( sección especial) Fallas, as otherwise, you will not be seeing the most extravagant ones.

The winners in all groups should be seen, but it is difficult to arrange your route if you are not familiar with the city.

Don't forget the fabulous calle Sueca/Cuba area for the lit up streets. They usually have the most ornate ones, and win the prize for best illumination.
Mar 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

I arrive late-ish on the 11th (tomorrow). I am 60, wear glasses and I weigh 90 kg. My hair is grey (white) and short. I don't think I'll have time to look at my computer again, so I hope you will recognise me.
Hasta luego.
Mar 10th, 2009, 01:58 PM

The Fallas are not mounted yet, but are in the process, all the pieces gathered in the squares. This process is quite intersting actually. Hopefully you will be here a few days to be able to see the finished product!

I hope to go tomorrow. Will try to pick you out! Now, is this a man or a woman?
Mar 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM

P.S I will NOT be there the 12th as I have to work all day outside the city. But I should be there the 13th and the 14th ( another Fodorite should be there the 14th, too).

Victor.. do you live here, too?
Mar 10th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

I am a man (Bert is the clue, but people do take unusual usernames) I'll be by the Hotel Melia Plaza entrance on the first day of the Fallas at 2p.m.
Got to catch a plane
Bye!
Mar 11th, 2009, 03:35 AM

Fallas are being mounted now

pictures and videos of the works here
Nou Campanar
http://falles.mforos.com/704256/8370...o-monterrubio/

Pilar
http://falles.mforos.com/704256/8369...-jose-lafarga/

Na Jordana
http://falles.mforos.com/704256/8371...icente-llacer/

Convento
http://falles.mforos.com/704256/8376...en-paco-lopez/

and some more special section fallas.

lincasanova: ..no, i don't live in Valencia, but visit the city frequently.
Mar 11th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Advise: Las Fallas festival is amazing but it is also the noisiest fiesta ever!
I sadly can't enjoy Fallas because I suffer from ear pain in these noisy performances:
"La Despertá": Each day of Fallas begins at 8am with la despertà ("the wake-up call"). Brass bands will appear and begin to march down every street playing lively music. Close behind them are the fallers throwing large firecrackers in the street as they go (large enough to set off nearby car alarms, which will add their sirens to the bedlam!).
"La Mascletá": An explosive display of the concussive effects of co-ordinated firecracker and fireworks barrages in each neighbourhood.
"La Nit del Foc": From March 15 to 18 there is a fireworks display in the old riverbed in Valencia. Each night is progressively grander and the last is called "La Nit del Foc", the night of fire.
Mar 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

hello,
I wasn´t here till about 5 p.m. I´ll try to be outside the Hotel Melia Plaza at 2pm on 13th. I´m about 5ft 7 in tall. I´ll have fawn coloured trousers and a black T shirt with a gold lion of San Marco on the front. What do you look like?
I´ll try to stand near the entrance door.
Mar 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Would it be easier to email me at [email protected]?
Mar 11th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Hi! I am usually INSIDE reading apaper and having a refreshment around 1 or 1.30pm. At 2 pm it is a madhouse. So it would be easier a bit before, but inside the hotel, at teh sofas if I am lucky. It is a nice place to take a break. Then when the Mascletá is over, I am out of there.

I hope we coincide. 5!8" agée, blondish (with a little help).

I just got back from driving around and seeing Nou Campanar, Na Jordana ( has had some damage), Literato Azorin, Pl. Ayuntamiento and L'Exposición. They are coming along.

Enjoy tomorrow. If all goes well I will be there Friday AND Saturday.
Mar 13th, 2009, 10:46 AM

You will find one good article about the fiesta from here:
http://www.travelinginspain.com/valencia/las_fallas.htm
with a lot of photographs!
Mar 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

I hope lincasanova is still following this thread. I just got back home yesterday (no thanks to the jerks who now run what used to be British Rail). Thanks to Lin for her information and for meeting me as arranged. The Fallas were great, the mascletas amazing, the parades astounding, the cost of it all mind-boggling. I asked in a shop what one of the ladies' dresses would cost - 1800€ - and it wasn't particularly elaborate. And I must have seen at least 1000 of these dresses over the two days of the flower offering. And the florists don't do too badly out of it either! I thought food was expensive, even at the market. But meals out were really dear compared to UK prices. Some menus del dia were anything from 12€ to 46€, but I managed to get one for 9€ where they gave me a bottle of wine to myself. It was over a tourist office for Aragon, quite near the Plaza del Ayuntamiento, at C/ Don Juan de Austria, 20. A single plate (heated in a microwave and overcooked)of all i pebre in Palmar cost 7€ and that was the cheapest I could find, which might account for its meagre size and poor quality, but I wasn't going to pay 9-10€ for a single dish that might have been just as bad. If someone could open up an English fish and chip shop and sell at English price levels, they'd surely clean up. I visited Sagunto on Saturday, but it was shut! No, the castle was open, but everywhere else was as quiet as the grave. There was hardly a soul on the streets.
Thanks again, Lin, and my regards to your husband, Vicente.
Mar 26th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Yes! Hello. You made it back. A shame about Sagunto. Maybe it was between 2 and 4 pm? That is downtime across the nation.

Hope you were able to walk around the castle.

It was great meeting you and going out for lunch. Glad you were able to coordinate and be at the meeting place more than once! Hope to see you again if you come back!

Too bad Barb never made it, or at least, we didn't recognize her!
Apr 4th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Hello, Lin
I don't have your personal email address, so sorry to have to share my questions with everybody else, who are probably not interested. (You have mine - see above - so maybe you could reply to that.) I was in Sagunto from about 12 till 4. Yes, the castle was good, but a few signs in English would have helped. When I asked where the Tower of Hercules was, the man at the entrance kiosk said I'd have to go to Coruña! Fortunately, I've been there, so I knew what he was talking about. When I showed him the plan of the castle with the Tower of Hercules marked, he knew what I was talking about. If I had a plan, why did I need to ask? Well, the Tower was not 'labelled' and the plan was fairly small, so I couldn't be sure if what I was looking at was the ToH or not.
My question is about the ladies in the flower parade. some wore white mantillas, others wore black. I'm guessing that the ones wearing white were unmarried (right?), but were the ones wearing black mantillas married ladies or widows? Black seems a bit sombre for married ladies, but if it is worn by widows, there are a lot of widows in Valencia.
Apr 4th, 2009, 04:39 AM

Hi! I'll have to ask someone.I do know that there are participants from different places outside of Valencia. Many of their traditional costumes are different, especially when it comes to the headwear and colors.

Too bad you got a smarta** to deal with up on the ruins.

Did you find the "dungeon" prison area? It is under the area as you come in, but at the edge of the hill, towards the sea, not to your left or right. You need to walk down a lot of worn,stone steps to get to it.

I hope to have the correct answer to the mantillas soon.
Apr 4th, 2009, 07:21 AM

Lookinginto mantillas, seems there are ocassions ( certain dates and certain homages)to wear black, while sometimes an age thing.. or for widows, along with the regional application for their costume.

I will get more details but seems it is quite confusing even for non-professional falleros.
Apr 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi (again)
There were a few cream-coloured mantillas (but not many). All the ladies wearing white mantillas looked fairly young, all the ladies wearing black ones looked older. The dresses underneath the mantillas seemed to be all the same - though all different, of course, if you see what I mean. I mean that I could not see any noticeably different feature between the dresses under the black and white mantillas. BTW, I asked in a shop how much were the dresses - the one on display was 1800€! Can you confirm what Victor_d said near the start of this thread, that the Nou Campanar falla cost 900,000€? That's nearly £1,000,000!
I don't think the guy at the gate was being a smart**** [four asterisks in English ]. Although it would seem a bit odd that he wasn't familiar with the name of one of the features of the castle. (I asked in Spanish, then, after the Coruna confusion, pointed to the words "Tower of Hercules" (in English) on my plan, which came from the Spanish Tourist Office, London. He said it was the tower with the radio antennae on it. I had seen it, but it didn't have a sign on it saying "Torre de Heracles". It was not at all impressive.

No, I missed the prison section! It was not shown on my plan of the castle.
I found just about everything else in the leaflet I had - although I wasn't sure about the remains of a Roman aqueduct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO