Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

VALENCIA, DENIA, ALICANTE....finalizing plans for November/December

Old Jun 15th, 2024, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have another long thread about plans for this trip but now that I've settled on a few things, I will begin this new thread so readers do not have to wade through a long thread about apartments, etc.

In brief: We hope to make a trip of about 17 days, focused mostly on wandering around and discovering new foods and restaurants, and some sights. I went to school in Valencia as a teen and spent about a week there (combined with Barcelona) about 15 years ago. My partner has never been.

This is a tentative plan:

Arrive Valencia (from JFK with connection in MAD) on Sunday 11/17
Valencia..7 nights at ONLY YOU HOTEL

Rent car and drive to Denia..spend 5 nights as HOTEL LA POSADA DEL MAR...hope for a room with water view; will focus on booking table at EL BARET.

After five nights in Denia, drive to Alicante (any recommended stops for lunch?)
Spend five nights in Alicante--Hotel Hospes Amerigo????

Drop the car off upon arrival in Alicante, unless there are great restaurants out of the city that require a car to visit....

In general, have I planned well the number of days in each city? Too many days in Alicante?
Best location for Alicante hotel?

I had planned to stop in Cuenca but want to make this trip as easy as possible for my partner, with fewer checking in and out of hotels.....I can go to Cuenca on my own someday, from Madrid...

I should add that for both of us, the rice we had at Sebe in Lanzarote opened my eyes to how fantastic a rice dish can be.......I can almost say that this dish changed my life at the table.....and it had no seafood, only pork. I think about it every day!!!

How does this plan sound???? Too much time in Denia and in Alicante?????
Once I get the plan set, I will ask Maribel to recommend restaurants in Denia and in Alicante (El Baret is already tops on my list!)

Thanks all for bearing with me through my lengthy and involved threads with all the focus on eating!!!
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 10:35 AM

Be back later, eks, but I´m on my way to Rafa for dinner!!!

Quick note: For Alicante I would book the Hospes Amérigo or the Casa Alberola Curio Collection by Hilton. Both get good reviews on booking.com, but read through all the very verified booking reviews to get a sense of each. The Casa Alberola is newer.. Both just a short walk from the seaside promenade and great dining within very easy walking distance.
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Rafa!!!! Oh how I wish I could go with you!!!

I just booked my stay in Vejer for March..good news there!!

Hope to hear from you when you get the time!!
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 07:16 AM

Ok, eks, I just updated my 10-page dining guide for the Marina Alta and Dénia just for you!!
Attached Files
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 08:47 AM

5 nights in Alicante for me would be a bit much, unless you take a day trip to Elche and another trip further west-north, inland, to have a spectacular rice dish at Elías in El Pinoso, also recommended by Susi Díaz of La Finca, Elche. Elías I didn't include in my attached file.

From Dénia to Alacant, you'll pass by Benidorm (I keep my eyes closed, lol), but you could stop just inland from highly overdeveloped Benidorm at El Xató in La Nuncia, which we considered, as it´s often recommended by locals, but didn't have time to pursue on our trip up to Guadalest. It does have an excellent local reputation plus a Michelin star. That said, it offers tasting menus only, best done at night while staying nearby and not while in transit!

Or in El Campello you have La Vaquería, Michelin and Repsol recommended. That would be my choice.

Last edited by Maribel; Jun 16th, 2024 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 09:50 AM

And the Alicante Mercado Central, although not nearly as large as Valencia's, is a joy. The fishmongers' stalls are amazing!

Bar Manero (I love this place, both in Alicante and Madrid) just opend its Bikini (yummy grilled ham and cheese sandwiches) Cocktail Bar at the Teatro Principal.
https://www.bikinimanero.com
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Maribel you are a marvel!!

I cannot wait to dig into your new guide!!!!!

I will cut down the time in Alicante.

Did you stay at VIVOOD hotel? I have that marked but have not read much about it....
Or, I should ask if there is anyplace we ought to spend the night inland between Denia and Alicante?

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Jun 18th, 2024 at 06:44 AM.
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 06:55 AM

Nowhere to spend the night between the two except for the VIVOOD outside of Guadalest, but Guadalest is a strange sort of town, although it has a very dramatic perch, it's tiny and filled with rather quirky museums (the salt & pepper shaker museum, the micro miniature museum, ..) . We stayed for one night at a lovely B&B (we wanted to do some wine touring nearby at Enrique Mendoza), but the town itself at night is dead as a doornail.

Just drive straight down from Dènia or spend the night at VIVOOD but plan on spending your entire time there.

Last edited by Maribel; Jun 18th, 2024 at 07:28 AM.
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Dear Maribel, I think we will skip Vivood due to your comments. We have time to alter the plan but so far, I have booked:

ONLY YOU VALENCIA...9 nights

LA POSADA DEL MAR, Denia, 5 nights in room with terrace facing sea. We will have a car so can always take side trips. I've marked the dates when EL BARET opens the reservation books and you know I will be on top of that!!!

Not yet have booked Alicante but have trimmed down the time to 4 nights---we could think about Elche and/or El Pinoso during that time.

I had my hair cut today. The salon owner who cuts my hair is French; last summer he booked a house with pool and 4 bedrooms in Javea and adored it...Price was 3500 for a week (I think) and the was thrilled.....he never went anywhere else but had a marvelous time and was highly recommending Javea. It would not be for me, but maybe others here might have interest..he had looked in other places along the coast and said the prices were just so high he could not manage any of them......

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Jun 21st, 2024 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jul 15th, 2024, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Maribel, and others who know Alicante:

Four nights? (one would be day of arrival by car from Denia).

Or would you cut it down to three (not a terrible dilemma either way)
I do not think partner would be up to more than one hour day trip from there, but is there enough to keep me busy with the main food market, and restaurants?

I've got NOU MANOLIN on the list.

BAEZA Y RUFETE (?) (comida only)

???BAR MANERO (snacks, or meal; we are not exactly the cocktail bar clientele since he barely drinks!!))

If there are no other "musts" maybe three nights would be best.....I will take a look at both the hotels you recommended and if one has a room with terrace and sea view, Jeff will be happy on his own just relaxing while I wander around.,...he can't walk as far as he used to these days (can any of us?). So I don't want to just park him in an inside room for an afternoon while I scoot around (maybe "scoot" is a big of an exaggeration for me these days...but let's say "meander!")

I've not booked the air tickets yet so still time.....