Uzes and St. Quentin la Poterie in Gard Provencal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In October 2009 my wife and I will be staying near Avignon and one of our day trips will be to Uzes and Pont du Gard. Is St. Quentin la Poterie worth the short drive? Additionally, we were planning this for a Wednesday and understand Uzes has market days on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Is the Wednesday market worth doing or should we arrange our schedule to be in Arles on Wednesday for their market?
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM

The Wednesday market is much smaller than the Saturday market. However, it still somewhat obscures the Place au Herbs. I would visit on another day. After the market, they spend a couple of hours or so hosing down & sweeping the Place before they set up tables outside.

St Quentin is a pottery town - and not much else. Castillion du Gard is a cute little town in that same area.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Uzes is a small hilltop town with the Duke's palace in the center (not open to the public). If the flag is up, the duke is in residence.

The Pont du Gard is breath-taking.

St. Quentin la Poterie is a very small town and not that attractive. There are several artists' shops with interesting pottery. I don't remember any restaurants or other tourist accommodations.

What about stopping in Nimes, just South of the Pont du Gard? there is on old Roman arena and some other Roman artifacts.

Another possibility is Ile sur la Sorgue - a few miles East of Nimes. A charming small town with lots of (expensive) antique shops, a beautiful canal and many restaurants. Or St. Remy de Provence - another charming small town.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks StuDudley. I think we will replace St. Quentin for Castillion du Gard as we have seen some postings and photos that make it look intriguing and worth a visit. Stu, per my first post is the market in Arles a possible alternative for Wednesday?
GourmetgirlBoston thanks for your response. L'Isle sur La Sorgue and Nimes are also on our itinerary for this trip.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Arles is fine. There is one in St Remy too - but just like Uzes I think it interferes with your enjoyment of St Remy. As I recall, the Arles market is below town a bit.

Stu Dudley