Search

Utrecht area

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utrecht area

We will be exchanging homes in Utrecht over the holidays. We have spent a fair amount of time in the Netherlands including a previous exchange in this same area.

We have two boys (9 & 11) and grandma will be with us for a while. We like art, history, and being outside.

Would love suggestions on favorite restaurants, lesser known day-trips which aren't too far. We'll be using mainly public transportation.

Thanks so much!
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:20 AM

Hey you really like it here don't you! How long are you over for?
Are you actually in Utrecht itself?

There are several good museums in Utrecht, I'm not sure if you went to them last time you were over. Maybe the railway museum would appeal to the boys, plus there is the speelklok museum.

You may enjoy Spakenburg village, - get the train to Baarn and then the bus to Spakenburg.
Woods to walk in include those around the village of Lage Vuursche, again train to Baarn and then a bus ride. Youcould combine the two in a daytrip, though given that it gets dark around 4.30 day trips will be short.
Spakenburg has a market on a Saturday, and some of the ladies still wear their traditional costume.

A little known but very good museum is the Singer museum in Laren. Train to Hilversum, then bus.

Naarden is a nice fortified town, which you may enjoy - the church has cannonballs in the walls, and a stunning painted ceiling.

Did you get to Muiderslot last time? your boys may enjoy that.

Those are first thoughts. I'll think some more about it later.

Oh how about the botanical gardens at the University - they have some nice warm greenhouses there
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:38 AM

Also interesting is to drive to Giethoorn and rent a small boat to sail through the canals.
Or join one of the organised trips there.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 06:09 AM

Giethoorn is indeed lovely in winter, so much nicer than in the (crowded)summer. If you are planning on heading out that way I can make a few more suggestions of places to visit.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 06:52 AM
sjj

One of the things you might think of is a day trip to Amsterdam. If I recall correctly, the train to Centraal Station in Amerstdam takes about an hour from Utrecht, and most of the things you'd want to see in Amsterdam are within a mile or so of the train station. I particularly recommend the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum, and (weather permitting) walks along the canals and in the Jordaan. If you can get the kids to agree, you might also think of going to The Hague to see the wonderful art collections in the Mauritshaus (Golden Age) and the Haags Gemeentemuseum (Mondrian).
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Kids may like Duinrell (sp?) a largish amusement park - water park in suburban Den Hague, not too far from Utrecht

2nd hetismij about the National Railway Museum in an old train station in Utrecht. I went there again last year - took a special train from Utrecht Centraal Station to the museum (which however is a short walk from the town center)

In summer canal boat rides along the Graacht are a must thing to do in Utrecht.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Closer to Utrecht is Bilthoven (5 miles out) and De Biltse Duinen (sp?) which kids may like - lots of sand dunes to play around in - swimming pool, etc. Low-key kids thing.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Bilthoven is just a commuter town, really nothing special. The Biltse Duinen are not that wonderful either to be honest. I walk my dogs there sometimes. I'm not sure how good the public transport links are.
Soesterduinen are better, more sand dunes etc, but a bit of a walk from the train station- you need to get off at Soest Zuid then walk about 1.5km to get there.
If you decide to go I'll give you directions.

I'm not sure if Utrecht has a free ice rink this year, they do have the Vechtse banen .
Amersfoort has a temporary, outdoor one on the Lievevrouweplein in the centre of town. Maarssen also has a temporary one, on pontoons in the river. You can hire skates at any of them.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Oh these are wonderful -- please keep the ideas coming -- especially smaller towns and anything ruiny that we can explore / hike / run around upon. Seaside areas that might be nice in winter -- we do love the water.

Yes, hetismij, I guess we do love the Netherlands. This time we were looking for a holiday home exchange anywhere and we're exchanging with a family in Utrecht proper. The small world aspect is that we were in Maarn for a week before the canal boat / Friesland excursion two years ago. I think our house is between central station and the university -- I'll let you know this weekend when we arrive.

We do plan to spend some time in Amsterdam. We've been several times and our boys went two years ago. They didn't get to Anne Frank's house so that is on our "to do" list.

We will probably also visit Gemeentemuseum and Mauritshuis. Any comments on Panorama Mesday?

Thanks for the skate suggestions, it doesn't sound like Utrecht has a holiday rink. Our youngest is a hockey player.

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 12:54 AM

Panorama Mesdag is wonderful. I absolutely recommend it. It is great for all ages too.
There is the Space Expo in Noorwijk, home of ESA. Not as good as the Smithsonian, but still interesting. You could combine that with some beach time.
The beach in winter is lovely - blows away the cobwebs, works up and appetite and ensures a great nights sleep.

If you are into Architecture at all then maybe you would enjoy the Rietveld-Scröderhuis on the Erasmuslaan in Utrecht.

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are into architecture, and are planning to visit the Rietveld-Scröderhuis. I read you have to make a reservation at the Centraal Museum.

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 03:27 AM

Kasteel De Haar in Haarzuilens (very near Utrecht) is a really beautiful castle:
www.kasteeldehaar.nl

For a great lunch in Utrecht:
www.bakkerswinkel.nl
www.broodnodig.info

Great dinner:
www.nu030.nl (small dishes, great taste)
www.zakkendrager.nl (great atmosphere, good food)

Dish (choice from fixed-menus, good price), Den Draeck (steaks, grill and more, great decor for kids).

Climb De Dom-tower!

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 06:15 AM

sprin2 - then hop over to Rotterdam - lots of astonishing architecture, both new and Rietveld houses - i visited them last year - they are across from a famous museum. I bought a National Museum Card - about 40 euro i think and it covered several really neat museums in Rotterdam and of course all over. In Amsterdam itself the card would recoup the cost for most folks. Good for one year and sold at museums.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 11:56 PM

A couple of other places that might appeal are the air force museum at Soesterberg which is free!
Also near the village of Austerlitz is a pyramid built by the French during the Napoleonic wars. It has recently been restored, and is surrounded by lovely woodlands.
Not sure how you get to either by public transport, but if you are interested I'll look it up for you.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Go to the Utrecht VVV (Tourist Office) and get some info on biking routes in your area - Holland has a very sophisticated system of bike paths and virtually everyone in Holland (except perhaps Hetismij - she's really Welsh i think) rides bikes - from grannies to kids - bike rentals abound and if you are exchanging homes then no doubt your house will have 'fiets' as bikes are called. There are some nice natural areas to ride thru i believe south and west of Utrecht. But the VVV should have detailed maps showing the paths clearly.