Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Using the Roma pass to avoid waiting in lines..

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of any short cuts around these long lines for these attractions in Rome? And when using the Roma pass is there a differnet line to go into? are they marked clearly?

Forum
Palatine hill
colosseum
and Borghese gallery

I have also bought tickets for the vatican and I was wondering .. if anyone has a stragety to get there with the least amount of time..
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:40 PM

Borghese is a special case: you need a reservation. You can reserve from NA, using their free call-back line.

You still need to present yr Roma Pass when redeeming your reservation. Arrive 15 or 20 minutes early and you will have minimal wait time. Use the extra minutes to visit the bookstore, have a coffee in the cafe, visit the washrooms AND stand in line for the timed admission.

Closer to entry time, the lines are much longer.

The main delay, in my experience, was at the cloakroom. Recommended tactic: Take NOTHING with you that you cannot stick in a pocket.

BTW: I have never tried this but you could arrive 15 minutes AFTER your designated entry time. You may find 1:45 is plenty to see the collections.

To my surprise, many visitors did not use their full 2 hours and the place was almost empty when we were finally ushered out.

Basically, the Borghese is not everyone's cup of tea. Prodigiously beautiful 18th C decor (little remains of the original villa's decoration) but I suspect the statuary and certainly the paintings leave many non-aesthetes stone-cold.

I've never been in a museum in which the viewers looked so baffled and so unhappy!!!

The Forum can have line ups at the main entrance but not at the eastern entrance, near the Colosseum. The Palatine is never crowded.

I don't know the Colosseum as it does not interest me but I have read that you do enter by a special line.

NOTE: If you have already used up your two FREE Roma Pass admissions (Forum/ Palatine/ Coliseum count as one) then of course you have to line up to buy tkts, along with everyone else. The Roma Pass does not obviate that -- it means only that your tkt costs a bit less.
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM

The Roma Pass allows you to bypass the long lines at the Colosseum and get right in. Go from there to the eastern entrance to the Forum as mentioned above.

I agree with the advice to bring nothing to the Borghese - that was the only wait we have ever had in multiple visits.

What kind of tickets for the Vatican? Entry to the Museums?
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
With the Roma Pass, you need to make sure you aren't in a ticket line (ticket lines can be very long). Go to a tour group entry which will be more of a security check.

Same thing for the Vatican Museums. Don't stand in the ticket line to enter if you have a ticket/code already purchased. Go to the entrance and show the guard/employee and you will be directed the security line.

FYI - The Forum, Palantine, Colosseum count as one entry off the pass. You are supposed to be able to revisit these until your pass expires at the end of three days.
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:37 PM

The Roma pass allows you to avoid the ticket line, but not the entry line into the Colosseum. You can pay a bit more and join a tour, but be careful if the tour is slow filling up you may wait longer than if you stayed in line. We joined a tour and waited maybe 5 mins to go in. And the guide was excellent.
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Re Borghese: any museum can turn out to not be someone's cup of tea, but for me it is a highlight of a visit to Rome, the audio guide is excellent, and the size of the collection not over-taxing. If you enjoy sculpture, especially the masterpieces by Bernini, it's strongly recommended by me.
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Bookmarking info for future trip!