Colosseum

Aug 23rd, 2010, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Colosseum

I've read that to skip the queues at the Coloseum, I can either buy the Roma Pass or buy the tickets from Palatine Hill/Forum. II am travelling with my kids so I'd rather do a short stop just at the Colosseum - perhaps take a picture outside with those gladiators. How long are the queues to buy tickets for the Colosseum? What's the best time to visit for a shorter queue? Or if we do buy from the Palatine Hill/Forum ticket counters, how far a walk from there are we talking about to get to the Colosseum?

BTW, any other ideas what movies out there I can show my kids to show them what the Colosseum and the gladiators stood for? I can only think of the tv show Spartacus or Russel Crowe's Gladiator and I don't think those are age-appropriate for them.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 03:33 AM

Take them inside the Colosseum; I think they would enjoy that. Lines can be very long to buy tickets. I picked up a tour right outside so learned the history of the Colosseum and bypassed the ticket lines.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 03:39 AM

First you should know that taking a picture with one of the "gladiators" is not free. Most will want between 5-20 euros (hey, it's how they make a living). The walks to either are not far, maybe 200 meters. Depending on how you are traveling, say by bus to Piazza Venezia, then the forum entrance is on your way.

Buy your tickets at either the Palatine entrance on Via San Gregorio or at the Forum entrance on Via Fori Imperiali. Then you go to the outside line, with the banners saying things like "purchased ticket or Roma pass" and go right to the security checkpoint. You bypass the entire line. This ticket is then good for access to all three sites (1 admission each) in a 48 hour time period.

You can pick up the Roma Pass at most, but not all of it's listed sites and at all tourist information booths.

dave
Aug 23rd, 2010, 05:09 AM

You can buy the Roma Pass at the Metro station directly across the street from the Colosseum.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not really keen on doing the Palatine or the Forum. We were there a few years ago with a guide and I do believe you need a guide or maybe I'll just buy my kids one of those books that have a transparent overlay to show you what it looked like before.

If I don't buy the Roma Pass, can I only buy the Colosseum ticket at the place itself? Can I buy it elsewhere?

And yes I do know that a picture with the gladiator is a big tourist trap. I even bought the costume for my son the last time back. Maybe, I'll make him wear it when he gets his picture taken....
Aug 23rd, 2010, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

I just found the answer to my question.

http://goitaly.about.com/od/romeital...seumticket.htm

It appears that ticket online allows you to buy tickets at EUR13.50 for adults? Isn't this cheaper than the normal ticket price?
Aug 23rd, 2010, 06:38 AM

As I remember there are two lines, one for tickets and one to get in. We used a Roma pass and then (as adrienne said) hooked up with a tour and went right in.
Aug 24th, 2010, 08:50 PM

The Romapass lets you skip the line. Beware of the Gladiators. I have seen them bully tourists into giving them more money. Also, you will be approached by MANY kids saying they are giving tours for school or something of the sort with the selling point that you will skip the line. These guys are NOT legit. We bought a roma pass, went thru the group line (also for RomaPass holders although it did not say that) and passed a hundred people standing in line waiting to buy a ticket, or even holding a Roma Pass not realizing they were in the wrong line.