Using the Metro

Jan 20th, 2007, 11:27 PM
klf
Original Poster

Using the Metro

How easy is the Metro to use in Paris?

Is it the best way to get from the airport to the Hotel in Paris?

Is it the best/fastest way to get from place to place while sightseeing?
Jan 20th, 2007, 11:35 PM

Super easy. The first time I ever used it I knew absolutely no French and got around by myself just fine.

There are lots of other posts about how to get from CDG to hotels and it depends on where your hotel is and how much luggage you have. If it's Orly Airport the best way is the bus that takes you to Denfert Rochereau.

And there are lots of options for getting from place to place for sightseeing. The metro is good when you need to go a long distance across Paris but if you want to see all the sights along the Seine I would recommend the Batobus. You can get on and off at the important sites.

www.batobus.fr
Jan 20th, 2007, 11:40 PM

<<<Is it the best way to get from the airport to the Hotel in Paris? <<<
No, the metro doesn't go to any airport, it serve only Paris and close suburbs.
No, for what is the best/fastest way to go from 'the airport' and 'the Hotel' will depend on :
- wich airport , (Roissy-CDG, Orly, Beauvais, ...) ?
- Where the hotel is (it makes a difference)
Jan 21st, 2007, 12:01 AM

It depends.

You should study the basics of how it work in a guide book such as Rick Steves.

If you have mobility problem, it is physically not easy to use.

Metro stations such as Montparnasse and Châtelet are enormous. You do not want to transfer metros at major stations when loaded with luggages.

Best way to get from the airport to the Hotel in Paris? hmmm, if best way = cheapest way, then RER fits the bill for CDG. If best way = least hassle or lots of luggages, take a taxi.

Best way to get from place to place? Hmm again... sometimes on foot, sometimes on RER, sometimes on Metro, sometimes in taxi, sometimes on a bus, sometimes on a boat. Get a good map of the city with transportation routes to map out what method makes sense.
Jan 21st, 2007, 12:54 AM

Hi

I think it is quite easy. Just get a good map so you can find out what line to use and get on board in the right direction

Best way to get from the airport might be a taxi but I doubt this is the cheapest method. The last time I went to Paris I took the train into Paris and there I switched to metro to get to the hotel. I have written more about this in my trip report http://www.gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . You should also check out the interactive Google map that I have made of Paris http://www.gardkarlsen.com/paris_france_map.htm . The yellow marker shows the location of the hotel I stayed at and blue markers shows attractions. Click on the markers for more info. Hope this helps

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Jan 21st, 2007, 01:29 AM

Hi

Here is a good link for airport options - http://www.vacations-paris.com/image/m_3.gif. You can also take a taxi of course or a shuttle bus. We used Paris Shuttle -http://www.parishuttle.com/

The metro is fantastic in Paris. Cheap, regular and safe. We used it extensively. The only problem I had with it was the Chatelet stop. Very confusing!
Jan 21st, 2007, 01:45 AM

The Metro in Paris is the easiest to understand of any in the world, in my opinion.
You CAN get to your hotel using the combination of the Metro and the RER system, which interconnect at places in Paris.
Since you have never used the Metro--so apparently have never been to Paris--I would strongly suggest that on arrival you choose another way to get to your hotel.
A taxi would be my first choice (cost about 50E) or one of the airport bus services that let you off at points within Paris from which you will need to take something else to your hotel.
Jan 21st, 2007, 02:32 AM

For info on the public transport system in Paris:

www.ratp.fr and look for the "international passengers" link at the top.

You'll find the interactive map most useful. The key things to need to remember for the Metro are: which line and the name of the terminal station for the direction you want to travel in. Signage is by line number (also colour-coded) and "Direction [name of terminal station]".
Jan 21st, 2007, 04:04 AM

The automatic ticket machines speak 4 languages.
Jan 21st, 2007, 04:08 AM

Paris Metro is very easy to use, good value, clean and safe.
Jan 21st, 2007, 04:21 AM

<<<The automatic ticket machines speak 4 languages.<<<
Yes, but a word of caution : those machines don't understand US issued credit/debit cards (they lck the security chip) but accept coins; you can go to manned booths too : the employees can deal with the non-secured card and allow you to pay with those.
Jan 21st, 2007, 06:31 AM

Here's an online brochure titled "How to Use Public Transportation in Paris":

http://www.atkielski.com/PDF/data/ParMetro.pdf

A very easy and inexpensive way for a newbie to get to the city is to take the RER (train) to a stop near one's hotel, then hail a cab for the rest of the trip. A map of Paris streets with the train systems overlaid on it is here:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...secteur&fm=pdf
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:03 AM

The metro in Paris is extremely easy to use with color coded maps in all metro stations. Just get on the metro heading where you want to go and going in the right direction. The worst that can happen is you go the wrong direction or pass your stop, in which case you simply get off and get on the metro going the other direction. To me I haven't really entered Paris until I have hit the metro and taken in the sights and smells there. Getting into Paris is very easy by a combination of RER and metro but not if you have a lot of luggage and are not prepared to walk and climb a lot of stairs in the process.
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:07 AM

Agree with the other posts here. VERY easy to use (and I spoke no French). I found them easier than those here in NY as well.
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:15 AM
kit

Ask the hotel what your transportation options are from the airport you fly into. They'll have a good idea of the costs associated with each and may have an agreement in place already with a specific shuttle service.
Jan 24th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Except for the doors. They are easy to open but they're manual at each door. We caught on to this and while I was looking for a diagram of how to turn the lock a young man overheard us and made a slow demonstration of it as he got off.
Jan 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Ah - the doors. The trouble is there are different sorts of doors on different generations of train. Some have the handle you lift, some have buttons you push. I can't recall offhand if the very latest types open automatically.

To be a "real" Parisian, you have to get the handle ready or press the button as the train comes into the station, so the door opens before the train has quite come to a stop. Then you can sail off first and beat the mob up the stairs.
Jan 24th, 2007, 10:58 AM

On lines 1 and 14, the doors open automatically.
Jan 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM

..and when the horn sounds that the doors are closing, don't be standing in the way! They close no matter what.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:42 AM

>>How easy is the Metro to use in Paris?>>

It's very easy to use. We resisted using it for a couple of years, as we really like the buses -- you can see more. However, the Metro is much quicker, so we use both.

>>Is it the best way to get from the airport to the Hotel in Paris? >>

We thought about taking the RER, which connects with the Metro, but decided against it because of the difficulty of hauling suitcases up and down the stairs without a lift. We have taken the Air France buses which are very easy. Just walk out and pay the driver. The one we took let us off near Gare Montparnasse, so we walked over there to catch a taxi to our hotel. We took a taxi back to the airport.

>>Is it the best/fastest way to get from place to place while sightseeing?>>

As I mentioned, we like the buses, and I agree with beaupeep who suggests the Batobus for all the sights along the Seine. The metro is the best to get across Paris quickly. There's no traffic to deal with.
Sandy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO