Reload this Page >

Using San Gimignano as a base for touring Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 12:49 PM
Dick

ANy thoughts on Using San Gimignano as a base for touring Tuscany. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Jan

Hi Dick! Yes, I thought very seriously about it when I based in Siena last trip then spent 2 nights in San G. Now, I was driving and it would not be so convenient if you were, say, bus and train traveling. But we found it stressless to get in & out of, it had a handy supermarket for picnics, plenty of good restaurants, and best of all, more short and long day trips than we could count! <BR> <BR>Therefore, when we go back in 2 weeks we have reservations to stay in San G. as a base for a week. I'll be happy to anwser any more specific questions. Ciao! Jan

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Tom

Loved San G, but pretty small little town (stayed there one night). My favorite was Sienna as it was a little bigger so a little more to do in the evening (not huge like Florence, just a little bigger). Another thought is to stay at one of the great Tuscan villas in the countryside (easy in and out and very romantic).

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 09:55 PM
diane

Jan would love to hear more about the area. Have you ever stayed in a monastery? What about Lucca? Do you know of a good spa in area? Can you go for just 1-2 days? Are there any special places to shop for hand made fine crafts? So many questions. Sorry. <BR>Hope you have all the answers or someone else does.. Thanks

Old Mar 26th, 2000, 09:51 AM
Dick

Thanks for the feedback. <BR> <BR>Diane, My wife and I share your interest in a spa..Do you any info on that? <BR>Dick

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Bill

Jan or anyone else, any recommendations on a place to stay in Tuscany to base travel out of. I was thinking of Lucca vs. San G.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 01:41 PM
Lesli

San Gimignano is lovely, but overrun with busloads of tourists even in April such that the last time I tried to go we were unable to park and moved on to neighboring villages instead. <BR> <BR>Lucca is comparatively peaceful and also a bit larger, with a surprising number of upscale boutiques and the highest number of churches per capita in Italy (which is saying a lot!), not to mention those walls to walk on from which you can admire the gardens.... <BR> <BR>Siena is another excellent choice - more nightlife than you might expect for a relatively small town because of the university there. Not a monastery, but a hotel run by nuns there called Alba(?)Domus, has some rooms with balconies and spectacular views of the Duomo. Little English is spoken, however.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 01:59 PM
kam

Lucca is a good city to visit and to use to do daytrips to northern Tuscany. I personally think it's too far to go much farther than Siena (which took us 1 1/2 hours last time--with an Italian cousin driving!) Would you consider splitting time between Lucca and something farther south? I would stay out of San Gimignano except for a daytrip. I would stay in the countryside instead-- Locanda le Piazze near Castellina, Relais Borgo di Toiano in Sovicille (3 night minimum),or in Panzano near Greve in Chianti. There's also a fantastic hotel in Sinalunga (think that might be into Umbria) called Locanda dell'Amorosa--pricey but a real treat and more accessible than San Gimignano, where you have to negotiate with the tour buses and many tourists. If you must stay in San Gimignano, the Antico Pozzo is my recommendation but have a meal at the Cisterna. Alternatively, stay just outside town at the Relais Santa Chiara.