Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Using reward points..has this happened to you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got information about using my B of America Signature points on an open jaw ticket from NYC to Geneva and returning back to NYC out of Paris. I did all my research and used this information to plan my trip. However, when I went to book a week later it seems that the travel "professional" gave me the wrong information and I cannot do what I want to do for the points I planned to use. Needless to say I'm ticked off. Instead of a "free" ticket my travels will cost be $743! I called and spoke to a supervisor to no avail. So..I will be changing my reward travel charge card to a different bank. My travels are mostly to Europe, Calif. and Hawaii. I'm a teacher so my dates during the school year are known in advance, but are similar to everyone else's. I charge everything and don't keep a balance.What cards are folks using these days?
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Capital One visa. they have the best deal (at least from the research i did) on charging in foreign currency.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know how BofA's points work. Do they have their program rules in writing or on a website? Why was there a charge of $743? Was the charge because you were short on points?

Everyone has their "favorite" card(s) and reward program(s), depending on where and how they travel and what they hope to get "free." Some people like to seek out and buy very low air fares, using points for hotels, car rentals, cruises, etc.

My previous card for many years: Citibank MasterCard for American's FF program. I had no problems with Citibank and actually prefer American's FF program. But American's US-Europe schedules have changed significantly over the years and no longer work well for me.

My current card: Chase for United's FF program. I'm not a big fan of United, but their program partner Swiss has a non-stop flight LAX-Zurich that is perfect for us. Bonus of 20,000 miles for applying.

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Hi Jean,

Great informative post! Quick question about United's FF card that you have through Chase... we are located in Denver and Lufthansa is one of the few airlines with direct flights to Europe from Denver. I've noticed they are in United's alliance. Do you know if we could use United FF points on Lufthansa flights?
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Texas Aggie,

Yes, you can use United FF on Lufthansa. I've done it several times.

I like my United FF "Mileage Plus" program throught Bank One, as I haven't had any trouble getting trips to Europe. I did have a minor glitch trying to get to Dublin airport. I had to go to London and then take Aer Lingus to Dublin.

I always book well ahead of time.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM

I have a B of A Signature Alaska Airlines card and have been happy with it. It's partnered with British Airways, and while I haven't used points for a BA flight yet, I've had no problems whatsoever redeeming for Alaska flights. Is your Signature card aligned with a particular airline?
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:40 PM

I prefer AMEX's Starwood Preferred Guest Card. You can transfer points to just about any airline and they give you a bonus 5000 points every time you transfer 20,000. Or, you can use the points for any Starwood property (Sheraton, Westin, W, etc.)
This card is very highly rated in many articles about FF programs.

I don't like Capitol One’s FF program.
This is from their website:
Miles Redemption, for example:
15,000: Saver (tickets up to $150) 35,000: Standard (tickets from $150.01 to $350)
60,000: Super (tickets from $350.01 to $600)
100x the ticket price: Unlimited (tickets more than $600)

You cannot transfer the Capitol One miles anywhere. You buy the ticket and they "reimburse" you and debit the miles from your account.

For me, because I tend to travel internationally the tickets are usually over $800 at least, it’s not such a good deal. We travel high season because my husband is a teacher too. If a ticket price is $1200 (say, high season to Europe in Economy) then it would cost you 120,000 miles, right?

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:03 PM

I use AAdvantage Citi MasterCard for everything that I will pay off at the end of the month, so there are no interest charges. Interest rate on this card is high (I've forgotten the rate since I never pay it).I have gotten several European tickets with these air miles. Since we are located near to AA's DFW, this card makes the most sense for us.

For things I might want to let "revolve," I have BofA Platinum Plus World Points Visa card with a low interest rate of 4.9. I've not yet redeemed my points, but when I do I am not limited to one airline but can choose from a variety of airlines as well as other types of "rewards."
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Chase for United works well for me, though I also accrue points on my Costco Amex business card, which are transferable to just about any airline. I've got a gazillion miles...problem is, I can hardly ever plan ahead far enough to use them. Maybe next year, when the last kid will be gone to college and I'm free to travel on my own schedule.