using GPS in Switzerland

Jul 6th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

using GPS in Switzerland

I would like to use a GPS to keep track of the miles I hike while in Switzerland. Does anyone have recommendations on the best type of unit? I have heard the GPS maps on phones consume a lot of data so using the maps on an old unlocked iphone may not be the best bet.
Jul 6th, 2014, 12:28 PM

DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE.

Garmin, Timex, and some other companies sell GPS watches for this very application. They can track distance and elevation. And they work very well.
Jul 6th, 2014, 03:24 PM

Are you using GPS maps on your phone to track the miles you are hiking NOW? Then you can easily look at your data usage on you phone. If you have t-mobile USA Simple Choice plan, international data roaming is free. You continue use your phone data as if you are in the U.S. at 2G or better speed depending on locations.

You can also get a sense of battery consumption NOW by looking at how fast your battery is drained when you have you GPS on. Dedicated GPS usually last longer only because they come with heavier batteries. Of course, you have to carry that extra weight.

If you are not fussy about getting the exact distance, a properly calibrated pedometer with tri-axis sensor (cheaper ) or other fitness monitor products (quite bit more expensive) give you accurate distances or estimates without having to deal with data or battery consumption or weight. Pedometers last months on batteries while fitness monitors last a few days on a single charge. This compared to just a few hours if you used your cellphone GPS.
Jul 6th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies so far. In the US I use Map My Ride/Map My Run but I'm on AT&T and definitely do not have international roaming or data. I'll check out all the options you've both shared.
Jul 6th, 2014, 06:19 PM

I have downloaded the Swiss Map Mobile App for iPad (mini) and will use it to way-find and track my hiking across Switzerland. The GPS function does not use data and you don't need a cell connection or data plan. It can receive a signal from sat's and will give you a dot on a map which a Garmin watch will not do.

But if all you want to do is track distance walked then a Garmin watch will work fine. I have a Garmin 610 that works excellent for trail running but is not good for finding your way. The 610 battery lasts about 8-10 hours on the trail.

From the Swiss Map Mobile:

"The product Swiss Map Mobile integrates the Swiss national maps with your mobile. The built-in GPS receiver centers the position of the mobile phone on the map and a mark indicates the current position. The map scale can be arbitrarily chosen. If the GPS receiver remains switched on, the map moves with the user, thanks to the Moving Map Function. You will never lose your way again!

Swiss Map Mobile covers the entire area of Switzerland at the scales 1:25'000, 1:50'000, 1:100'000 and 1:500'000."