Using frequent flyer miles

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using frequent flyer miles

We are plannint a trip to Provence in September. At the moment there are no non-stop flights available using miles. I have found a Delta flight with a stop in Salt Lake and then of course in Paris. It takes something like 16 hours from LAX. Non of the layovers are long. Would you hold out for a non-stop or jump at the chance to get anything. Thanks in advance
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Non-stops are hard to get these days; our trip to Nice takes us first to Dallas and then to Heathrow. If you can get a flight with miles, go for it; I don't think you can find much without a connection through Paris or London.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 03:01 PM
yk

Is this for economy seats or business class seats?

How many seats do you need?

You're trying to go from LAX-CDG?
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

yk and underhill thanks for the speedy reply as I should firm this up ASAP. I'm going from LAX to Marseille, two passengers in business using only miles.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM

I had a very good connection from the US West Coast to Athens, Star Alliance 14 hrs with one short stop on the East Coast. Then the airline canceled the domestic portion; I ended up with an 18 hr trip.

As an alternative, have you looked into flying into Milan or Geneva and driving?
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM

How about flying into Paris and taking a TGV from there if all else fails?

I'd take the tickets while I could GET them
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:05 PM

I would book Lax all the way to Marsielle. The layovers are a pain, but the total time is not too bad. I would not take a train from Paris to Marsielle. You would be paying for an expensive train ride that you really do not need to do. Non-stops are really a part of the past--unfortunately. Have a good trip
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Hi there:

I highly doubt there are any non-stop flights from LAX to Marseille. If there were, I'd be willing to bet Air France is the only one who would fly that route, and I don't know if your miles are with them or not.

I doubt that's a route that's in high demand (LA to Marseille), so it wouldn't make sense cost-wise for the airlines to have a non-stop flight. You're going to be much more successful (and use less miles) flying from LAX to Paris, in my opinion. I'd find something and grab it. And it shouldn't be difficult to get a connecting flight from there or take a train.

I'm flying next month from Orange County to Paris and I used miles. The ticket cost me $85, which was for the taxes. I've never been so happy in my life! Good luck
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Bird in the hand. Jump at the tickets that are available now. You can always keep searching to see if a better routing opens up and then pay the change fee.