Use of laptop in Germany/Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone brought their laptop oversees to use it for route mapping? Anyone care to share information on using the internet and/or which software for route mapping.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Not sure what you mean by route mapping.

If you're talking about a driving trip what you need are up to date detailed paper maps - supplemented by town center print outs from one of the mapping services.

Taking a computer just to pull up maps seems a gigantic waste of time and space - when the paper maps are so much clearer and more complete (esp useful when there are diversions, accidents, construction, roads closed due to bad weather etc).
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 05:38 PM
J62

I routinely take my laptop to Germany for business and use the internet.

A good website is www.viamichelin.com - handy for figuring out a route, distance and timing, as well as town center maps.

As nytraveler says, a good old paper map works great - never used any software directly on my computer.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Lydia, I always take my laptop with me to Europe, mainly for journaling and downloading digital photos. However, I do my mapping at home, before I leave on the trip, using www.mappy.com or www.viamichelin.com.

I like Mappy for the option it gives to do pedestrian mapping, so I can guage distances between various sites I'll be visiting on foot.

I have not tried to use my laptop in the car while driving, to map routes, mainly because I don't expect to be able to connect to the internet to access mapping sites. So far, I also do not have GPS capabilities. However, there are GPS software and hardware options for sale out there for laptops, such as Microsoft's Streets & Trips 2006 with GPS locator http://www.microsoft.com/streets/Pro...s.aspx?pid=001
The link is to the US version, but the Microsoft site also links to versions for Germany, Italy, and the UK. I don't know whether the Germany and Italy programs are multilingual - that is, whether there is the option to use English in the program. The US version has the option to use verbal commands, rather than messing with your computer by hand, and I assume the Germany and Italy programs do too, but I don't know if they speak English - the website description for the German version is not in English.

The GPS laptop connection looks fun and interesting to me, but I suspect that the best option will remain paper maps while you are enroute, backed up by some internet maps from Mappy and ViaMichelin printed before you leave home.

I use Mappy and ViaMichelin in the planning process, before I leave home, to get an idea of travel distance and time, but then rely on paper maps for the actual driving once we arrive in country, except for the last mile or two for access to the hotel. For some reason, that last mile always seems to be the hardest and the place where we are most tired and crabby, so I do try to have the internet printout of the last mile to the hotel printed and in a folder we can easily access as we enter the city and approach the hotel.

I'll be curious to hear whether others out there in Fodor land have more experience with using GPS in their travels, especially in conjunction with a laptop.

Just remember, though, as I've learned in my preliminary research tonight, that you will need to buy mapping software for the country you are visiting and have a GPS receiver to plug into your laptop, such as what is contained in the Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 package. Also, my laptop only runs about 3.5 hours on a battery before it needs to be recharged or replaced with a fresh battery, so you'll want to keep that in mind.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:00 AM

I wouldn't dream of using a laptop, way too bulky and unnecessary for navigation purposes.

I use TomTom (www.tomtom.com) that I attach to the car when required or it can be used via your mobile phone or PDA. They have maps for the US, Europe & Australia.

I've had the navigation systems provided by Mercedes & BMW (2- 3000 Euros each) and they are basically crap when compared to this one.

Geordie
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 01:17 AM
lawchick

Many car hire companies in Europe, particularly Germany offer GPS in rental cars for an extra cost.

You can always a access trusty mappy.com from your hotels computer or an internet cafe while you are away - to do your planning.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:11 AM

I have used map applications on both a laptop (in cars) and a Pocket PC (on foot) in Europe. Microsoft AutoRoute with a GPS attachment continuously updates your location and computes your route. It's the same software as Streets & Trips, its North American counterpart, which can be bought bundled with a GPS.

Before you start out for the day, you can download up-to-date information on diversions and delays, and compute a new route to your destination with the push of a button. This also applies if anything unanticipated happens between points A and B. It's the perfect solution to that "last mile" problem because it allows you to adapt to changing conditions.

The software provides about 20 zoom levels, so you can fill your screen with anything from a whole intercity route to a single street.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to all of you. I'll be doing what many of you suggested. Printing at home and paper maps in Germany. I do have Microsoft's Auto Route 2006 for Europe. I just wish you could request "scenic" routes as well as fastest, shortest, etc. I have been playing with Viamichellin and will try mappy.com also.

Again, thanks to all.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:59 AM

I really can't help thinking this is an extraordinarily complicated technical solution to a problem the world solved centuries ago.

Every road atlas of Europe I've ever owned (average price: about £10. Average weight: 6 oz. Available at every petrol station anywhere) prints "scenic" strips alongside appropriate routes. In some form or another, easily portable, lightweight, scenic road maps for travellers have been on sale for at least 400 years.

No GSP. No power converter. No PCMCIA cards. No preposterous G3 subscriptions or extortionate download costs.

As always, Gutenberg beats Gates into a cocked hat when it comes to convenience, price and usefulness.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Right on!

And if you want to converse with people, you can make marks on pieces of wood pulp, put the messages into envelopes, place extortionate postage stamps on the outside, and drop them in a box in the street to be carried across the oceans by sailing ships.

No computers. No internet connections. The problem of interacting with others remotely was solved <i>thousands</i> of years ago.

(Michelin sells both dead tree and binary digit versions of its travel aids. Your call.)
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:47 AM

So, if it's a price/performance issue, the cost of Robespierre's pocket pc and the kind of internet access he mentions can beat the lowly, oops - make that extortionate cost of postage stamps? Pull the other one, it's got bells on it...

WK
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Who changed the subject to price/performance? I use computers because they do what I want done more effectively than their technological antecedents.

I carry my entire trip's documentation in a five-ounce package a little larger than a deck of cards. The only paper I have is my passport and cash. If you prefer another solution, I will respect your choice and not characterize it.

I don't have a power converter.
I don't use PCMCIA cards.
I don't know what G3 subscriptions are.
I don't pay extortionate download costs.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:05 AM

We were in Germany last week and added a GPS to our car rental (Avis via AutoEurope) for 9&euro; a day--definitely worth it. We also had the Michelin Atlas for Germany which is available at bn.com for $18.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:43 AM

I recently brought a laptop on our trip to Italy and it was quite useful. It was a very tiny IBM thinkpad, with a card reader. We downloaded all our pictures to it every night, allowing us to free space on the camera memory card and have a look at the pictures. As well, it allowed us to burn CDs with the pictures, in case of memory card or laptop failure.

We also had copies of all our documents (scanned passport, itinerary, museum reservations, etc...), which we never had to use, but it's nice to know you have a backup.

And finally, the laptop was equipped with a Microsoft GPS locator and the latest Microsoft Streets and Trips software. For some reason, the GPS didn't work in Europe (worked well in North America). I have heard of many people using them in Europe, so it was probably something I did! In any case, I don't think we really would have used it for navigation, as we walked almost everywhere and took the train the rest of the way.

Hope this helps.

Bender
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Robespierre stated: &quot;I have used map applications on both a laptop (in cars) and a Pocket PC (on foot) in Europe.&quot;

Can you tell me which Pocket PC you use? I have been doing some research and am just as confused.

Lydia
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:11 PM

I've had the best results with a Compaq iPAQ 2215. Some of the newer models have integral GPS, WiFi, and GSM phones. I've tried a couple of them, but I like the 1gb storage memory of my old one better.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:41 AM
ira

Hi L,

&gt; just wish you could request &quot;scenic&quot; routes ...&lt;

If you look at the maps at www.michelin.com you will see some roads marked in green. These are the scenic routes.

You might also find the Michelin Green Guides useful.

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:20 AM
jpm

I've used a Garmin Handheld EMap and now use my PocketPC (Dell Axim) with TomTom. I wouldn't leave home without it.

The TomTom works great with dynamic routing. I have an external BlueTooth GPS I bought off ebay for $30 that I keep in my glove compartment.

More expensive than maps? Yes. But I use my PocketPC for everything. I keep Adobe PDF files of all my tickets, passports, etc. I am able to keep my travel journal up to date as I go. Plop in my cameras digital card and I can look/edit my photos. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Admittedly this is not for everyone but with the amount of travel I do its great. Just last night I used it to find the nearest Thai Restaurant near my hotel in Atlanta.

Having said that - While on Vacation, I always have good paper maps as well.

So, I do think a laptop would be too bulky, but a handheld is perfect.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:51 AM

How about something in between? I'm considering a Fujitsu LifeBook P1000: 9&quot; screen, 9-hour battery, 1 kg.

<b>http://www.premiopc.com/pdfs/fujitsu/p1000_series.pdf</b>
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 05:31 AM
jpm

Bender:

I'm not sure what type of GPS you use, but some have to be set to your general location. My Garmin EMap had to be reset (through a config menu) to Europe. I have no idea why? You would think it could figure it out, but it didn't.

It may be that it is looking for a &quot;set&quot; of satellites that it never found in Europe.

I sure some GPS guru can correct me and state the exact reason - but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

jpm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -