use of bayern ticket

Search

use of bayern ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
use of bayern ticket

I understand that the bayern ticket can be used from Munich to Fuessen with restrictions. My question is can it be purchased for one way travel for one day and then purchase a second bayern ticket to use for return travel the next day?

Also would 4 adults and 2 teenage students qualify to travel on one bayern ticket? We are 2 families traveling together each 2 adults and one teenage student.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:34 AM
yk

1) Yes. The Bayern ticket doesn't care whether you're taking a one-way trip or r/t or taking 10 trips. All it cares is that you travel after 9am on weekdays and travel on regional trains.

2) Depends on the age of the teenagers. I believe if the children are 14 and under, then Yes. If they're over 14, you'll need to buy 2 Bayern Tickets.

See the website for details:
http://tinyurl.com/2883al
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Normally, only up to 5 people can travel with one Bayern Ticket.

Only when ONE family (parents/grandparents) travels with kids under 15 the number of kids is unlimited, while the max number of adults is two.

In your case, this will not work (even if both kids are under 15) because you will be TWO families traveling together.

If both kids are over 14, you will need one regular Bayern Ticket (€27) and one so called "Single Bayern Ticket" (€19) for the 6th person in your party.

If one kid is 14 or younger, you can buy him/her a reduced regular ticket for Munich-Füssen for €10.70, and a regular Bayern Ticket (€27) for the rest of your party.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM

That is my understanding of the Bayern ticket as well.

I think this sentence applies to your situation:

Wer darf mit

Gruppen bis zu fünf Personen oder ein Eltern-/Großelternpaar oder Eltern/Großeltern (max. 2 Erwachsene) mit beliebig vielen eigenen Kindern/Enkeln unter 15 Jahren

Who may use the ticket:

Groups up to 5 people or a parent-grandparent pair, maximum of 2 adults, with any of their own children or grandchildren under 15 years of age [may travel on one ticket].

Because there are two families and more than 5 people involved you will need two tickets. In your specific case, I don't think the ages matter.

Given that the rules say that a group of up to 5 people can travel on one ticket, I interpret that to mean that ANY 5 people can travel on one ticket regardless of age or relationship.

So two tickets should cover all both families.

What I do NOT know is if the phrase biz zu - up to - in English is inclusive of 5 people. It could mean up to and including or up to and excluding. My dictionary is not really clear on that hair splitting point.

That is, does up to 16, stop on the day of the 16th birthday??

I will ask a German friend of mine.

I don't see that the question is one of age. If one ticket per 5 people is the policy, and you are two groups of 3, I see a need for only 2 tickets.

For example, two parents and a 20 year old son or daughter should be covered as under the provision of up to 5 people per ticket. In your case, if one teenager is say 18, the group is 3 adults.

Old May 8th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM

I have the answer on bis zu!!

It is "inclusive". So in the phrase Gruppen bis zu fünf Personen means as many as 5.

So what you could do is buy one 5-person ticket, and have 1 person buy a single ticket. It would be a few euro cheaper that way. Whether or not it is enough money to matter is your decision.

If you had two tickets, the group could have a little more flexibility.

Just bear in mind that you MUST ride local trains. Usually these are prefixed with RE.

A train number prefixed with EC or IC or ICE is not included. These are not local trains.

All the trains I saw listed on the Munich - Füssen line are either RE or RB -- regional express and regionalbahn. Both make a lot of stops.

You will want to check the DB web site because some trains are slower than others and involve a change of trains to get to Füssen.

Note that the ü is important here, it is not a u. You can simulate it with ue. Or hold the alt key and type 129 on the numeric key pad as I just did.

If you put Fussen in the DB secheduler system you will get trains for Fußenberg, Wenzenbach
That is NOT what you want!!

The German word die Füße means feet.
So what you want is the city of Füssen.

Der Fuß = foot, like what you stand on or it can be a foot in length.

1 Fuß = 30,48 cm We would call it 30.48 centimeters.