US Passport question re: 6 mos. maximum

Aug 20th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

US Passport question re: 6 mos. maximum

I entered the UK last month as a tourist. I know that I can legally remain here for 6 months. I am planning on returning to the US in November for a couple of weeks, then coming back to England. When I do, will I be able to stay for another 6 months? Thanks.
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:13 AM

I go to the UK about every 6 weeks on business, but get a tourist visa. They never even look for previous entries in my passport and as far as I know, don't have a computer list showing when you entered the country. I would think you would not have a problem.

I also have a friend who lived in HOng KOng for six months on a one-month tourist visa she kept renewing by going to Macao for the day. . .
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

I don't have a "tourist visa," I have a US passport. Is there a difference?
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:28 AM

No, what I meant was that I don't apply for a business visa. A tourist visa will be issued to you on arrival; which just bascially means that as a US citizen they will let you into the UK with no papers other than your passport. Some countires (like India, TChina) require tourists to apply for and be issued a visa which is stamped in their passport before they arrive in the country. Few if any European countries do this anymore, Russia is about the only one. Most countries have a "visa on arrival". That used to mean you would get a neat stamp in yoru passport showing the date you arrived, and it was always a good momento. Very few European countries do this anymore, they just look at your passport and your in. That is why you should not have any problem re-entering the UK after a few months.

If you are in the UK for school or work, you might want to consider getting a visa or work permit.
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:32 AM
ira

Dear TLD,

May I suggest that you call the Ministry instead of seeking advice fom a group of amateurs?

I thought that tourists could only stay 90 days without a visa.
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:38 AM

I agree that she should not take advice from strangers on the web. I was speaking anecdotially about my experience, which I think is clear from my message.

If you go to www.travel.state.gov/foreignentryreqs.html, which is run by the US State Dept, you will see that US citizens can stay for six months without a visa.
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:41 AM
ira

Hi AS,

I didn't have you in mind when I posted. I just thought that we are not the right people to ask, especially since TLD is in the UK.

Search this Thread