PASSPORT PROCESS FOR PANAMANIANS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any expats or locals out there who can provide information about how a Panamanian goes about getting a passport? Anything you can provide in terms of locations, time frame, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Information on visas required to enter US, too - thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:52 AM

Panama's government has a website that explains how to take care of all kinds of bureaucratic tasks.

www.panamatramita.gob.pa

I typed in "pasaporte" in the search field, and then clicked on "pasaporte ordinario por primera vez" (ordinary passport for first time), and it explains everything.

For visa information, the U.S. embassy's website is:

panama.usembassy.gov
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! After I posted I found the passport sight and will check out the visa information. My son's friend is wanting to travel in the next few weeks and I think the visa would be the main hold-up. In my experience US Embassies in CA grind away more slowly than the local governments. Happy trails!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:17 AM

Depending on what "in the next few weeks" means, that could be pushing things. The U.S. Embassy schedules interviews for the visa application, and I wouldn't know what kind of backlog they have in Panama. And would they even schedule an appointment for him before he has his passport in hand? Those would be two crucial things to ask. Oh, and one more thing to ask: What sorts of documentation does he need to bring to the appointment?
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

I think we've figured out that the passport can be same (long) day if she has her id card, birth cert, etc. but the visa requires paying at a Banco General where you make a US Embassy appointment. They appear to be scheduling appointments 14 days out (too late) and recommend application at least 6 weeks prior to travel so apparently you don't get the visa at the appointment.

On to Plan B! Actually, this month isn't a good time for her to visit anyway because my son won't be able to get more than week-ends off from work. Thanks again for your help!