Reload this Page >

US Airways update?

Search

US Airways update?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Shanna

US Airways update?

I've found some good flights from this backwater burgh to Frankfurt on USAir but have heard they are in some trouble. Can't seem to find out exactly what or anything new. Does anyone have an update on their financial future? Many thanks.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Betsy

Shanna, I'm no airline analyst, but I think you can take advantage of those flights without worry. It'll take years to absorb/dismantle this airline. Go and enjoy!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 05:09 AM
steve

Shanna, <BR>I am a Gold Traveller with US Airways. After the deal with United fell through there were a lot of rumors. There is no worry of them going out of business. They do have some great fares to Europe. I have used them several times for transatlantic flights and would not hesitate buying another ticket even if it was for next year. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Tom

US Airways won't disappear overnight, this week. <BR> <BR>It will not, however, "take ˙ears" for it to go away. Possibly a year or two, possibly a bit more. In part depends on the economy. <BR> <BR>No company, no matter how sound, can absorb staggering losses forever. Who would lend them money or buy new stock to fund such gigantic debts? <BR> <BR>US Airways, worse yet, is not a sound company. Its routes suffer too much competition and too little opportunity for profit. And its unions are among the greediest. <BR> <BR>No reason to avoid them for now, and some good bargains are available in the short run. <BR> <BR>Don't endow your 15 year-old grandchild with US Airways ticets to Europe for their college graduation present though, unless he/she is a real prodigy.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Shanna

Thanks, Betsy, Steve and Tom. I've always like USAir and my trip with them to Paris last spring was delightful - even the food was good. After being abused by Delta, United and American I try to fly USAir whenever possible. I've gone ahead and put the flight on hold until I talk to the boss tomorrow, really just a formality. So, Germany here I come . . . I wonder if anyone can guarantee good weather in the Pfalz? Jeez, I'm excited like never before! Thanks again.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 09:05 AM
jade

The only carrier at risk in the near future is USAir Express, which may suffer a strike. This is only a domestic, commuter carrier. Your only problem may be getting from whatever "backwater burgh" you're in to a gateway city.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:58 AM
kjames

I am a Silver Preferred Member who plans on using my Dividend Miles to go to Europe, Mexico or the Caribbean next year. I too am worried about their financial future and almost validated my miles this year because I feared they might not be financially solvent next year. However, I have heard from friends and news sources that the airline should be fine and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a ticket from them.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Diane

Just got back from New Orleans on MetroJet (USAirways no-frills stepchild, I believe) and they were announcing new flights to the Caribbean.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Maman

Maybe you ought to visit the "backwater burgh" before forming that opinion. Plus, avoiding the large gateway cities has obvious advantages. Pgh. to London, Frankfurt, and Paris are great flights and often great deals.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Tom

The aviation world is a different place, post-September 11. Whatever opinions about airline health and longevity may have been held before that date should probably be declared "inoperative" for now. Time will be required before the crystal ball starts sending anything remotely like clear signals.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Betsy

Ya gotta laugh. On 8 Sept. I posted the following (see above): "It'll take years to absorb/dismantle this airline. Go and enjoy!" Well, it seems that recent events may have accelerated the demise of USAir. We're hoping to use my miles for a trip to Europe, so guess I need to think about using them sooner rather than later.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Shanna

Don't write off this tough resilient airline yet. They're back to 99% and are finding that the new procedures are not creating the anticipated delays as everyone gets used to them. I'm holding on to my ticket and still planning to go to Frankfurt in October. I may have to drive to Charlotte if the regional carrier isn't back to normal, but the most recent USAirways notice was that their regional carriers were back in action. In fact, for the first time in a week, I'm feeling pretty positive. Okay, okay, "cautiously optimistic."