URGENTLY CALLING GRANDMERE!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grandmere: if you're in Annecy and see this before tomorrow 9/6/06 9:00 am....give us a call at Hotel Splendid,Room 410. Tel: 04 50 45 20 00 and we'll meet for an aperatif or un digestif!

If not until after, we're sur la route, but can highly recommend Le Petit Chateau Restaurant Gastronomique (air conditioned on the inside) right on the canal for nice food. We took the lunch cruise today on the Liberlulle (sp!) - Compagnie de Navigation du Lac d'Annency- and it was worth every penny. I've always shied away from this sort of thing, figuring they are tourist traps where the food is lousy. Maybe some are, but not this one-67.10 menu and 50.40 menu are both excellent value/quality -price includes the cruise around the lake - and the scenery during the 2 hour trip was breath taking. Convivial 3e Age tour groups are abudant this time of year and 2 were on our ship. We were assigned to the right side, which ended up being excellent--closest, shore side view and least amount of time in the noon sun.

Also ate dinner one night at the Italian restaurant chain next to Hotel Splendid called Le Bistrot Romain. Food was quite good (carpaccio looked like everyone's favorite, but we didn't try) but service was rather slow, even for us who don't mind spending lengths of time "a table".

Amities!

Carol & Norman

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - that is Splendid Hotel, not Hotel Splend-- and it is just that!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:16 PM

TTT for Grandmere
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:56 PM

ttt
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:29 PM

And again...
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for trying to help us connect.

So, grandmere--we were so close, and yet so far! As you mention in another thread, we were at the same Tuesday market in Annecy...sorry, too hard to pick you out from all the other ice-cream toten' tourists.

Maybe you noticed my husband though, looking rather "godfather-ish" in his newly acquired chapeau - a dashing Panama - and sexy sun glasses?

Important correction needed: The restaurant where we had the excellent fondue was Le Petit CHALET (not Le Petit Chateau)! I swear it was the haste and heat, not the wine that caused so much inaccuracies in my initial post.

Can't say enough good things about Annecy...except don't visit it the last weekend before school starts!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 02:17 PM

I'm sorry; I'm just seeing this for the first time. Klondike, thanks to you and all the others who tried to find me while we were in France. I never got near a computer once we left Coco's lovely apartment. We left for Annecy by car from Dijon on Mon. morning, 9/4, and departed on the 3:20 TGV for Paris on Wed., 9/6. It would have been fun to meet and lift a glass (or two)!

We took only the one hour boat ride on the lake, deciding against the luncheon cruise for the same fears you mentioned; it sounds as though we missed something very nice.

We ate dinner the first night along the canal at a restaurant which we overlooked from our hotel room in Palais de l'Isle. We had steak, which was cooked at our table and gratin dauphinois; we all enjoyed the meal.

The next night we dined on the street where the market was held, right around the corner from our hotel. I've been wanting to try tartiflette since another trip to Alpes area, but the potato dish was very heavy (so, what did I expect?) and a little disappointing. I thought the ham would be cooked with the potatoes and cheese, but it consisted of 2-3 paper-thin slices of ham with cornichons, much as you'd be served with raclette. But the ambience was great, and how can one complain about dinner, sitting outside in that charming town on a warm night?

We loved Annecy; it was as beautiful as I had imagined it.

The only problem was driving the car(and returning it, per our usual problems), and that speaks to my husband and our friend's lack of skill in finding their way in a French town w/o "the wives" or the GPS. Another tale for sometime later!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Eagerly awaiting more...
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Another Annecy fan. We had one of our best meals in France at the Auberge de Eriden (sp?) on Lake Annecy but unfortunately $$$ but worth it in view, presentation and it was a special gift to my husband at his retirement.

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Underhill and Cigale, good to hear from both of you! And your trip to France begins when, Jean? Have a wonderful time and keep us posted.

I digress but thought this was kind of interesting: when we boarded the "direct" TGV in Annecy for Paris, I was in the forward-facing right window seat and surprised to see the afternoon sun in my eyes. Weren't we supposed to be going north? We actually went south to both Chambery and Aix-les-Bains before heading north. The countryside was beautiful, though.