Reload this Page >

Urgent: Sicily, Rome or ????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Linda

Hello. We have 3 days at the end of August to explore Sicily, Rome or some other city/location. We have never been to Italy and very much appreciate your guidance. Thanks.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Joan

Harder to answer your question without some more info re: your tastes, tolerance for heat, airport you are flying into etc. But I'll leap in and say that Rome has a great deal to offer almost nay other than the time you mention. The heat is pretty oppressive and much will be closed, including a number of restaurants, some galleries and opera/ballet offerings are very limited. Sicily, on the other hand, is at its most "available" because it is where the people from Rome go for their vacations. If you are a people watcher you will find it a fascinating portrait of Italian family life. ANd, of course, you may have the additional excitement of watcheing a volcano erupt. The weather is perfect for the beaches and the port towns are fun to explore. Save Rome for another (cooler weather) visit.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Surlok

If you haven't been to Italy, your choice should be Rome. Sicily is interesting, but Rome is the highlight, with lots of history and art, starting with the ancient art and architecture to the Baroque period and Renaissance. Visit Sicily in your next time in Italy. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Surlok

PS: By the end of August, the heat won't be oppressive anymore, but the airports (all of them, as all the transportation ways, like trains, stations and ferries) will be busy, with people coming back from the their vacations. So, I still advise Rome. Besides, you're likely getting discounted rates at the hotels in Rome, since is still August. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 12:37 PM
linda

Thank you both, but still undecided!! Any recommendations for hotels for either location; we have 3 teenagers to keep happy!! Regards.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 12:40 PM
claire

Don't know about Sicily, but I just returned from Rome. It is HOT! But, if you can handle that, Rome is not to be missed. Just make certain your hotel is air-conditioned. And, drink plenty of water. They even sell it frozen in the plastic bottles on really hot days. If your interests are cultural and you have very limited time, I highly recommend Scala Reale tours. Only six people to a tour, and the 2 guides I had were excellent. They help with restaurants & tickets to events as well if you ask. As for Rome hotels, I don't know what your budget is, but we loved the Hotel Aberdeen on Via Firenze. They honored Rick Steves rates even without our making a specific request. And, they were very friendly & helpful with info about tickets and restaurants too by e-mail before we even arrived in Rome. For opera lovers, they are located on the same street as the Rome Opera.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:48 PM
linda

Thank you Claire. Do you have an email or web address for the hotel. We are flexible on our budget and wondering if you had any good restaurnat recommendations; not too fancy as we have 3 teenagers!!! Thanks

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:43 AM
claire

Hi Linda. You can e-mail Hotel Aberdeen at [email protected] Their website with photos and rates can be accessed through www.ricksteves.com under the heading of Rick's favorite travel links. Annamaria or Sabrina will probably respond to you. I always had a response within 24-48 hours. Usually within a day. You can reach scalareale at [email protected] or through www.scalareale.org. They also help with lodging recomendations if you are taking a walking tour with them. I took the Vatican tour (covered in 1/2 day what it would have taken me a full day on my own to do) and the orientation hike. As for restaurants, I can give you 2 at opposite ends of the spectrum! San Teodoro was one of the best restaurants we visited on our trip to Italy. Not formal, but you would not wear jeans & shorts. We ate outside & every table was taken. GREAT food & reasonable prices for what you got. Great people watching as well. Near the Forum. I can get you the address if you are interested. We also visited what I think was called Da Alfredo e Ada. It is on a side street very close to the Castello Sant'Angelo. No menus. As soon as you are seated, Ada brings you glasses & water & a caraffe of wine (her son has a vineyard. Then the food rolls in! You eat what she brings. The "choice" is that she may vary the menu to the point that a couple will be given plates of different food. So, if you don't like what you got, switch with your dining companion! It is delicious Roman home cooking. Nothing pretentious or arty here. Ada seems to to this because she enjoys it & though no English is spoken, she definitely interacts with each dinner guest. Mama feeding her extended family! The restaurant opened in 1946. Alfredo died a few years back. It is a tiny place. Convivial & fun if you are the least bit flexible about food. Enjoy your trip!