Reload this Page >

Trastevere Restaurant & I Papiri

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:30 AM
lin gitterman

Anyone know a great little restaurant in Trastevere? Cost is no issue but food must be fab and great atmosphere. Also, where is I (Il?) Papiri?

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Julie

Don't know I Papiri but try Osteria Checco er Carettiere via Benedetta 10-11-12 in Trastevere. I learned of this place in the now defunct magazine European Travel and Life. I couldn't believe I was in the right place when I saw the entry, those tacky hanging rope things to make a door, but behind that tacky doorway is a great restaurant. Wonderful atmosphere, including an enclosed outdoor patio. The food is the best. I had oxtails. Truly tasty with great sauce. I also had their mashed potatoes with tomatoes and onions--both as part of my antipasto and as dessert. They were that good and I knew I wouldn't get there again soon. Maureen Fant, author of Trattorias of Rome, Florence and Venice rates it 4 on a 5 point scale, and she's not a "high grader" Try it.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 02:17 PM
KC

lin- <BR>We just returned from 5 weeks in Europe, and one of the most memorable foods that I ate was a marinara pizza at La Scala in Trastevere. I would definitely recommend it.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Capo

We enjoyed Da Otello, in Piazza di Sant’ Egidio.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 06:18 AM
carol

I discovered La Canonica on my first trip to Rome in 1984, and eat there whenever I visit Rome. They serve what I'm told is authentic Roman cuisine, and you will always meet locals there, which I always consider a good sign. It's on a tiny alley near Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere.