Reload this Page >

Urgent: First time in Milan, Italy. Need help to see 2 more countries

Notices

Old Feb 6th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two weeks vacation in Italy. Would visit Rome and Milan only. Since I am already in Europe, I need some help to utlilize my time to see two more countries nearby. I need some suggestions which 2 countries to include in my trip 3 days each tops. Additionally, the cheapest way to reach the others. Anyone here can suggest possible itinerary?

Vienna and Prague are so far my options. But any countries will do, I am a solo travel by the way.

I have booked myself from June 16-30, 2015.

Really appreciate your help.
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 03:11 AM

Why do you want to visit other countries? Why would you only visit Rome and MILAN in Italy?

What do you like to do on holiday?
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 06:08 AM

I too do not get the choice of Milan over, say, Venice, which BTW is a good starting point for Vienna and Budapest.

If you want the closest countries to Milan, they are Switzerland (40 minutes by road) and Liechtenstein.
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 06:20 AM

Bilboburger: If you want an answer to your question, click on Archerlalu's name and check out all his ("urgent!") posts.
I think you'll see an interesting pattern
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 08:40 AM

Take a train from Rome to Falconara - Rimini, go from there by local bus into the Republic of San Marino and back, go on by train to Milan. Before flying home, take a commuter train from Milan to Chiasso/Switzerland (every 30 min) and board there a Malpensa bound bus.
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 08:41 AM

Easier solution: visit just the Vatican State at Rome.
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I'll bite but only because I was thinking of a similiar itinerary. This might not be an option as I don't know where you are flying into and out of.

I was playing with the idea of flying into Rome making my way up to Milan with a stay in Florence. From Milan, I was going to go to Geneva, Switzerland as I have a friend that lives there and would pick me up in Milan. This was with 15 days on the ground not including flights in or home. I was going to fly home from Geneva but you could always make your way to Paris and fly out from there or some other place in France. You could work France and Switzerland in with Italy but honestly, I would need more time.
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 10:29 AM

In the limited time you have you won't "see" two more countries. At best, you might experience a small sample of one location in two other countries, but at the expense of spending more of your time in transit. Are you just a country-counter or do you have particular things you want to do/see/experience? When you say three days in a place, are you factoring in travel time? It takes four nights somewhere to get three days.

If you want to experience I'd suggest you spend all of your two weeks in Italy - plenty to do/see/experience there. With two weeks, I'd choose three locations total.
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 03:38 PM

I hate to hijack this thread, but I haven't seen tedgale posting lately. Been waiting patiently for your trip report, especially for the Matera chapter, tedgale. Will you be posting one? (In the next 4 weeks would be really helpful). Hope all's well with you.
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 06:31 PM

Holly_uncasdewar: That trip report never got written, I'm afraid. We had a great time and Matera was a high point. I'm now in Savannah GA for the winter but leaving Monday for London for a week and also madly planning Portugal for early April. Glad to answer specific questions if there is some way for you to reach me.

If you are on Facebook, you can find me. I'm the only Canadian one with that name.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for comments. Bilboburgler: your questions are 1.)Why do I want to visit other countries? Living and working in Hong Kong is so much pressure to handle. Having 2 weeks off need to maximize all the dates to seek the world. Considering the high price plane tickets to Europe, if possible why not visit neighboring countries. A taste of different cultures can suffice the contentment of my travelling soul. Unlike most of the travelers, they can spend 6 weeks to 6 months on the road but in my case here, cannot travel longer than 2 weeks. I have work to do. Moreover, 2.) My plane from Hong Kong will arrive in Rome, i am giving 3 days tops to see only the major attractions. I will go to Milan afterwards spending 2 days theer. I have a cousin to visit. Then one day tour in Vatican City.
Other comments. I do not have particular interests like museums, art galleries. I just want to visit other countries and its cultures & surroundings. Walking in foreign lands. Grabbing opportunities to explore other "worlds".
Tedgale: Yes, I may consider Switzerland. Thanks for the suggestions. And the rest, keep suggesting or share some thoughts.

Yes, Tedgale, if you click my profile (as suggested by bilboburgler). I am the person on the move/run. And honestly those travels were all accomplished. Happy with them. 2 weeks tops that is all i can give to myself annually. So my way of i, I will make the most out of it!

Keep sending feedabcks. Appreciate them.

Thanks and Best regardrds to you all.
Cheers!
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 02:59 AM

Italy is a relativley new country and is made up of regions which were seperate countries not so long ago. Cultures vary within these regions, hence, I suggest you look at Italy that way and try for some of

1) Venice, and its watery splendor
2) Slovenia, very much an Alps based, ex-communist country just up from Venice
3) Bolzano, Italian now but Austrian at times
4) Lienz is Austrian now
5) St Moritz and that Valley in Switzerland will look like Slovenia only with prices twice as high

Hope that gives you a few ideas, clearly there is also the whole France thing, and various Islands.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 03:24 AM

Prague and Vienna is wonderful cities to visit but bear in mind Prague in the summer will be crowded with lots of tourist that it might not be a good idea to visit Prague during that time. You can technically spend 2 full days and see most of the attraction in the Old town area but you will need more time when visiting Vienna as there is several palaces and few museums. If I may suggest Budapest is a great place to visit as well.

Switzerland seems to be the most sensible options by rail, otherwise you can consider taking rail or flight to Barcelona, visiting Nice or Monaco on the way.

Due to the limited time you might need to prioritise what things that you really want to see prior to selecting the country that you plan to visit.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Cheers to all. Truly appreciate all the comments!