Upscale restaurant in Milan

Nov 15th, 1999, 01:08 PM
Dona

Upscale restaurant in Milan

Does anyone know of an upscale restaurant in Milan that would be good for a business dinner?

Thanks for your help...

Nov 16th, 1999, 05:41 AM
Paulo

The best restaurant in Milan, Dona, is undoubtely the l'Antica Osteria del Ponte. Unfortunatelly this is out of town, in Cassinetta di Lugagnano, some 20 km southwest of Milan. Mmost probably though, it wouldn't be a good choice for a business dinner anyways ... too good for your purpose because you would be concentrated on the delight of eating and drinking instead of discussing your stuff

For your purposes you may try the Savini in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele. Depending on what your "business" is, you may either choose to reserve a table in the winter garden (providing some distraction because you'll be able to watch what's happening in the Galleria) or in one of the rooms with crystal chandeliers. Jacket and tie required. Tel. 02 7200 3433. Expect to spend about US$ 220 for two, without wine.

If you want to try something different, a Milanese cousin of mine gave use very good references for the Sadler (at the corner of Via Conchetta and via Troilo, tel. 02/58104451). We're hoping to try it out next summer. This is the place that most probably she would go in the same situation. A complete dinner and wine for 2 should run just under US$ 200.

Paulo

Nov 16th, 1999, 05:53 AM
elvira

The night we ate at La Galleria, also in Galleria Vitt Emanuele II, there were a couple of tables of suits. Food was good, expensive enough to be impressive, but not ostentatious. tel: 02 86331923

Nov 16th, 1999, 09:12 AM
dawn

Paolo,

Is this restaurant that you speak of a little Trattoria? Not expensive either? Tucked away in a place that is not easy to find?

Nov 16th, 1999, 11:38 AM
Paulo

Well, Dawn, we've actually been only to the Savini. I have an aunt (my uncle died last year) that likes to treat herself in great style ... she's been always very quick to guarantee that the l'Antica Osteria del Ponte is the best restaurant in the Milan area. As a matter of fact, she says it's one of the best in Italy. It's also very expensive (over US$ 250 for 2 without wine). This is well over our budget and we'll go only if/when she'll invite us . Actually, we've been to the Savini some 4 years ago on my uncle's invitation (it's also way over our budget).
Paulo

Nov 16th, 1999, 11:56 AM
DAWN

Paolo,

The reason I'm asking is that we have friends that live right outside of Milan, in Meleganana (i'm not sure thats the right spelling) and they always take us to a osteria of the same exact name, but its a set menu, they just keep bringing food, homemade wine, which is out of this world, and dirt cheap. About $20 US dollars a person. I guess it's not the same place, but they have the same name. By the way, I learned yesterday where you are from. My husband is from Pietrasanta. Dawn

Nov 16th, 1999, 12:36 PM
Paulo

Italian city names may be confusing at times ... You're referring to Melegnano, southeast of Milan. There's Legnano at northwest. Cassinetta di Lugagnano is very close to Abbiategrasso. I wouldn't be surprised if there are dozens of l'Antica Osteria del Ponte in Italy. All that's needed is an old osteria by a bridge in the countryside
Paulo
PS. Pietrasanta ... that's near Carrara and Viareggio, isn't it?

Nov 16th, 1999, 12:45 PM
dawn

It's a terrific restaurant. Yes, it's the town next to Viareggio.

Nov 16th, 1999, 01:36 PM
Paulo

If you're interested, Dawn (for future recommendations the restaurant you're referring to was indeed listed in an older edition of the Gamberorosso guide (don't know if it still is!). The relevant data is: Antica Osteria del Ponte, Via Roma 8, fraz. Balbiano, Colturano MI, tel. 02/9818663. On Mondays, closed for lunch. Closed also in January and August. Average price/person Lit 35,000. The Gamberorosso gives it a 6.5 rating which is pretty good, considering that most restaurants in Italy aren't even mentioned. To get there, one may drive from Melegnano towards the Parco Agricola Sud Milano, taking the SP 39 north. After about 1.5 km, one exits the highway left.
Paulo
PS. when in the area, having a chance, we'll try it out ... this is certainly more adequate considering our budget

Nov 16th, 1999, 01:58 PM
Dawn

Paolo,

We've been there 3 times, and it's now our ritual the night we arrive in Milano. It's a great meal, and there are at least 30 things on the menu that they bring to the table. I had never seen anything like it. The wine is incredible. We have never been disappointed and it is a wonderful beginning to our trip. It's only maybe 10 minutes from our friends house in Melengano. Try it sometime, you won't be disapointed.