Notices

Update to insurance refund

Old Jun 29th, 2020, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update to insurance refund

Hope everyone is well, and for Aussies here, I hope you arenít to despondent about when we will be able to travel again. Today we received a partial refund from our unexpected return to Australia in March. We had top cover, and cancel for any reason. Of course we dint have cover for a pandemic.
The one way airfares from Paris to Sydney was over Ä4,000 and close to Aussie $9.000. As a one off, the company has refunded us $3,100. Better than nothing.
keep safe and happy
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 02:16 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh, Cheska, that’s still quite a loss.

I remember when my parents were caught up in Tiananmen Square protests and their insurance fully covered the change of routing and new flights and some other policy holders found theirs termed it differently (civil unrest or something) in order to deny any insurance cover. You don’t know until you claim.

Old Jun 29th, 2020, 04:06 AM

Cheska, I hope you'll consider that refund as the down payment on your next trip. You do have a plan for next time, right? Most likely you two will get back to France before we will and your trip report will be my consolation. In the meantime, stay healthy and happy.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adelaidean View Post
Oh, Cheska, thatís still quite a loss.

I remember when my parents were caught up in Tiananmen Square protests and their insurance fully covered the change of routing and new flights and some other policy holders found theirs termed it differently (civil unrest or something) in order to deny any insurance cover. You donít know until you claim.
That is interesting. My cousins were also and picked up bullet casings as they said no one would believe what they witnessed.

I think the money we lost on this is nothing compares to others. Still waiting for refunds but for the vouchers we received, I might mail to my friends in London to use. We don't see any light at the end of this dark tunnel. Fl is a mess.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 12:55 PM
J62

Good news that you got mostly reimbursed.

I just completed an exhausting 6mo process with a travel insurance co to cover a medical emergency & associated travel for a family member who fell ill on a cruise. Thankfully they are doing well. In the end the travel insurance co paid out what was due so out of pocket expenses were relatively minor, but the travel insurance co sure didn't make it easy. I think they want you to just give up and walk away.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 01:33 PM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
I think we need a thread devoted entirely to insurance companies & our experiences with each.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 04:42 PM
J62

Originally Posted by MmePerdu View Post
I think we need a thread devoted entirely to insurance companies & our experiences with each.
I could write a book, or at least an entire chapter...
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

They certainly did make it complex to apply. Luckily we keep everything, so it made it easier to make the claim.
J62 it would be more stressful making a claim for illness. Hope the family member is well and truly on the mend.

Coqueilot it certainly is for the next trip. Aussie international Borders are still closed and will remain until September 17, and it is expected that they will remain closed until the end of 2020. Qantas are saying they expect international travel to begin in July 2021.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 07:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Well, you know that Australians are welcome in the EU as of today. Unfortunately, I don't think there has been a direct link between Australia and France since the disappearance of UTA.