Update on the flowers at Keukenhof

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning to go to Keukenhof next Friday April 21.We got married in Holland 30 years ago but have not seen the tulips.I have read that we may not be in luck with flowers being in bloom . Does anybody have any thoughts as to what we should do? Thank you.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM

We were there at the same time two years ago, and the flowers were spectacular. Don't worry; there are always thousands of flowers in bloom in late April.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:09 AM

Although flowers are blooming later this year because of the weather, it will be o.k. by April 21.
Enjoy
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:20 AM

April 21 is only 5 days from today. There will most probably only be tulips in the various pavillions, not in open air since the daffodils, crocus and other early-spring flowers are still in bloom (one month later than usual).
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 08:43 PM

I was just at Keukenhof this past week and sadly there really wasn't anything out in the fields. The tulips that were in the fields were barely showing any leaves and the garden walks at Keukenhof showed no color. They have had a very strange winter and according to the park and our guide-they need another two weeks of good weather to get the flowers blooming.I would still go and walk around the park as it is very beautiful but I think that the only blooms you will enjoy will be in the pavillions.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 02:26 AM

Strolling around various parks in Brussels, it's the same thing. A very late start. The weather for the next 10 day is supposed to be mild (if not all that sunny). People who attend Keukenhof in the latter part of its "season" are going to get the best show this year.
Dutyfree, sorry about the lack of blooms...that must have been disappointing. Were the peacocks around? The white peacock always makes me laugh--he loathes the gardeners and shouts at them if they are working near his spot.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:34 AM

I for one am very glad I checked on this board before visiting Keukenhof. Had been planning to go last Friday but changed my mind when I read how few flowers were actually blooming! We had checked the Keukenhof website, which made it sound like everything was in bloom already (they would, I suppose...) so it was helpful to hear from people who've just been there.

Here in Brussels our garden is barely in bloom and our cherry tree, which blossomed in March last year, has no flowers on it at all yet. It's utterly depressing, but at least the sun has put in a (feeble) appearance today...
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:48 PM

Just an FYI-I even emailed the Keukenhof people last week to ask if things were slowed down this year and got the response that things "were fine".No peacocks either as it was windy and overcast with the rains later in the day.