Up market accomodations in Clare

Aug 25th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Up market accomodations in Clare

Is anyone familiar with these accomodations?
Temple Gate Hotel
Ballinalacken Castle
Hyland's Burren Hotel
Aran View House
We're looking for a spot from which to tour the Burren that has charm.
Aug 25th, 2003, 01:36 PM

I'm familiar with them, but haven't stayed at any. All are conveniently located near to the Burren. Temple Gate is a good-sized hotel in the center of Ennis...a busy town with lots of pubs, restaurants, and shopping. Hyland's is in the small and charming town of Ballyvaughan. Aran View and Ballinalacken are more 'away from it all', but not far from Doolin.
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:26 AM

I stayed at John Madden's Temple Gate in Ennis several times. It's built around a Gothic Church that serves as the Great Hall. It's across the way from the Irish Tourist Office that occupies what used to be a Convent. The hotel is less than 10-years old; so not much 'charm' there. In Ennis, the hotel with the most 'charm' is probably the Old Ground - about 100m from the Temple Gate.

You might want to check out the Falls Hotel (Lisdoonvarna?). It's the Center of the 'matchmaking festival' that takes place each year late Sep to early Oct.
Aug 26th, 2003, 04:15 AM

If you really want "charm", stay at the fabulous and world renown, 5* Dromoland Castle Hotel. It's near Ennis....actually "Newmarket on Fergus!
It will be an unforgettable visit!

MB
Aug 26th, 2003, 07:23 AM

I fully agree with Nedsireland about Temple Gate & Old Ground hotels in Ennis. I've stayed at Temple Gate & walked thru Old Ground. Old Ground has a litttle more charm. I have to disagree with him about Falls Hotel in Ennistymon. It's in a lovely location but it had inside noise & just something not right. I stayed one night & moved to Lisdoonvara staying at Carrigan's. Very friendly but a little smoky. Would stay there again. Also Sheedy's in Lisdoon has up-graded & looks very nice. Drove by Ballinalackin. It's down the road on it's own, but have heard good things about it.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:59 AM
mkd

We stayed at the Hyland's a few weeks ago and would recommend the rooms with skylights overlooking the Burren. The food at the hotel restaurant was good and the pub down by the water, Monk's(?) was a great place to hang out. As was noted by someone else, the town is pretty and has good shopping venues for its size.

Search this Thread