Unusual places to eat in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this on another post, and I would like to ask about specifically London... I like unusual, out of the way, NOT humdrum places... it can be ritzy or dumpy, but it must by DIFFERENT... it can be unusual due to the food, atmosphere, service, etc... who can contribute?
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Hi Green Dragon,
There is an exotic 'opera themed' restaurant near Aldwych that looks amazing! It's called 'Sarastro' and looks very sumptious and kitsch. I haven't eaten there, but it's always fun to walk past and peep in through the windows.
Sunday and Monday evenings (and I think Sunday lunch) they do 'Opera cabaret dinners' (22.50) featuring the virtuosos and divas of tomorrow! I believe they do post theatre meals too.
Address: 126 Drury Lane, London WC2B 5QG
I'm sure there are plenty of other interesting restaurants - I'll have a think and get back to you.
Firefly
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:47 AM

Don't miss "Sarastro!" It's so much fun. There's a million conversation pieces to discuss during your meal. The food is OK -- but it's the atmosphere that will WOW you.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:04 AM

The resturant upstairs in Harvey Nichols is very good especially the sushi bar! It's fun and is next to the foodhall. Enjoy.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:22 AM

The most interesting and unusual place we ate in London was St. John restaurant. It's near the Smithfield meat market and the famous chef Fergus Henderson practices nose to tail eating--using the entire animal. We had roast leg of kid goat and I had roast marrow bones with parsley salad for an appetizer. The day we were there ox tongue and squirrel were also on the menu. It's very unique and the food is wonderful.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:24 AM

The places mentioned so far are expensive - no locals would eat there. Try any of the Indian restaurants in Tooting.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 08:43 AM

The is this really cook food that is a specialty in London. You can find it all over the city. What they do is take a piece of fish and roll it over and over again in flour. When the fish is well coated they drop it in blazing hot oil and deep fry it until tender and flakey! Can you imagine? To top it all off they then take potatoes and cut them into long slices the also cook them in a different batch of oil. Will wonders never cease?
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Boy I am a typing disaster. I guess I should read what I write before hitting "POST". Here is a better version...

There is this really cool food that is a specialty in London. You can find it all over the city. What they do is take a piece of fish and roll it over and over again in batter. When the fish is well coated they drop it in blazing hot oil and deep fry it until tender and flakey! Can you imagine? To top it all off they then take potatoes and cut them into long slices the also cook them in a different batch of oil until golden brown. Will wonders never cease?
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 10:38 AM

My favorite place in London? A small little restaurant in Soho called Trattoria D'Aldo. Cheap, excellent real italian food served by men in black that look like Frank Sinatra. Some of the best pasta e fagoli and lasagna I've ever had.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Unusual depends on what is usual to YOU.

I took an Arizona-born American (who had recently moved to London, and who I'd been asked to welcome by another mutual friend) for Dim Sum in Chinatown. Despite having lived in New York for the year before coming to London and being rather a foody/ restaurant fan she'd never experienced anything like it.

Sarastro's is fun, particularly with a group. Food is nothing special and prices are a little high when judging on food alone but service, entertainment and decor makes it a positive experience.

The oft-mentioned Wagagamas and Belgo are also unusual for people who've not experienced their hectic brand of communal dining benches and rushed atmosphere, food is reasonably good and prices also.

Ethnic eateries throughout London are also unusual for anyone who hasn't experienced them before - so again it depends on your experiences to date - Indian, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Lebanese, Greek, Italian, Spanish Tapas, Morrocan, Turkish - just some of the places I've eaten in or passed by in recent months.

Kavey
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 12:42 PM
AllyPally

I really like Busaba on Wardour Street in Soho. It serves delicious Thai in a communal setting, it's very cheap, service is quick, the whole restaurant is non-smoking. You sit at large communal tables but you never feel hemmed in. It's very spare and beautiful, dark wood with huge, low hanging lamps. No music played and a little bit of candles and incense. Everyone I know who has been there loves it. Even Vogue gave it their seal of approval!

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Another themed restaurant is "Salieri" on the Strand. It's full of theatrical memorabilia , its location is handy for pre- theater dining.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 02:48 PM

Hi GreenDragon. In 2000, we went to a great Brazilian Barbeque restaurant in Notting Hill. The food was inexpensive and great and ranges from typical roast meats of every variety, to a bit more exotic, like chicken hearts! They had indoor and outdoor dining and we had a great time and a great meal. If only I could remember the name!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Three restaurants I visited that were different were Wagamama (you sit at communal tables and I thought the food was very good). Another, is Belgo - go downstairs - good if you like mussels (I found I don't but the restaurant is different) and Yo Sushi (I love sushi and it's again a different style restaurant). In none of these did I feel rushed.