Unusual itinerary

Sep 17th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Unusual itinerary

We are planning a 3-week car trip beginning in Cinque Terre (probably will fly into Genoa and get a car from there). We have already toured the Tuscany region as well as the big cities. Our interest is mainly driving from CT over to the western coast and down towards the heel to see Brindisi, Lecce etc. and then home from Bari

Does anyone have any recommendations of interesting things to see along the way as well as the best route to take?

This trip will begin around the 3rd week in May 2013.
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:25 AM

There is almost everything in the center of Italy to see between le Cinque Terre and Lecce. If you love beautiful scenery, spend time in Basilicata.

I would not want to travel along the Adriatic coast for long distances. It is boring for the most part.

What I would do is go from Le Cinque Terra to down the Mediterranean coast (through the Maremma -- have you been to that part of Tuscany?), and then cut over from someplace around Grosseto to Ascoli Piceno in Le Marche. Or you could go to Arezzo and then cut through Umbria to Ascoli Piceno.

From Ascoli Piceno, consider going to the Gargano Peninsula, or straight down to Bari and the rest of Puglia.

But then I would leave plenty of time to go back across Basilicata to Napoli and fly home from there.

When you are in Bari, be sure to see the ladies who still make orecchiette pasta in the street, outside their front door.
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:27 AM

By the way, it is easier to take the train from Genova to le Cinque Terre and then get your car in La Spezia. It is hard to park a car in le Cinque Terre in late May, and you don't need a car until you leave le Cinque Terre.

Also consider flying into Pisa and taking the train to le Cinque Terre. It is a shorter trip.
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM

If you follow my plan and go to Ascoli Piceno, take time to drive to the Piano Grande on the way. I would rather see the Piano Grande than the Gargano Peninsula, especially if you are also going to le Cinque Terre.
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:33 AM

How long to you expect to spend in the CT? Because a car is of little use there. The 5 villages are connected by a trail, boats and the train. The road runs inland. You'll have to pay to park your car. You could take a train to the CT, make your stay, then train on to La Spezia and pick up a car there.

I assume you typo-ed and are headed to the eastern coast of Italy?
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:40 AM

If you go thru Umbria Urbino is a wonderful walled town.
Sep 17th, 2012, 11:30 AM

If you insist on bringing a car to CT which you will never need and pay at least 18 euros/ day I suggest you stay in Monterosso and arrive Monday through Thursday. Parking is horrible in the 3 small lots which mostly take coins only. Take the advise of others and get a car after CT - trust me!
Sep 17th, 2012, 10:52 PM
kja

Have you considered including Matera on your route from west to east? It is convenient to Puglia and has some unique features that are, IMHO, worth seeing.