Reload this Page >

Unrest in Europe, concerns about traveling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 11:17 PM
Thomas

My family have a two-week trip planned to Germany this fall. With the current military actions underway in the Balkans, we are very concerned about safety. We have flight cancellation insurance, but, I understand it really is for serious medical problems only. Any advice/input regarding travel and the possiblity of getting our money refunded? We realize it's still a few months off and a lot can happen between now and then, but, would like some thoughts on this matter. <BR> <BR>thank you.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 01:26 AM
Maira

In my opinion, the most unsettling activity you may witness in Germany may be demonstrations against the German Parliament for having decide to send troops to Kosovo in support of the NATO peacekeeping efforts. I would stay out of their way and, it would be probably wise not to attract a lot of attention. Personally, I don't think you should cancel your trip.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 01:27 AM
Maira

In my opinion, the most unsettling activity you may witness in Germany may be demonstrations against the German Parliament for having decide to send troops to Kosovo in support of the NATO peacekeeping efforts. I would stay out of their way and, it would be probably wise not to attract a lot of attention. Personally, I don't think you should cancel your trip.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 02:06 AM
Vincent

Would you have cancelled a trip to Ireland two years ago, knowing that armoured vehicles were patrolling the streets of Belfast, 100 km from the Irish border ? Sadly, the fact that the war is restricted to the Balkans doesn't affect European life in general (ask the people in Milan, 45 mn by plane from the conflict). And, as the previous respondent underlines it, fall is still six months away, and I am afraid that inbetween, Kosovo will have become a totally Serb province, with a nice peace agreement to legalize the statu quo.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 04:07 AM
Lee

Thomas: In May, my wife and myself, her parents and her brother are planning on a 10 day Germany trip from the middle Rhine down to the Austrian border. We all agree on one thing: unless the US State Department issues a traveler's warning about Europe and particularly Germany, we will be getting off a plane in Frankfurt on May 23rd. <BR> <BR>The current situation in Kosovo is a terrible one indeed. I would wish for peace, as we all would, but I continue to plan away. <BR> <BR>Here's to all of our trips. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 08:33 AM
Natasha

<BR>Here's the website where you can check any warnings posted by the U.S. Government. <BR> <BR>http://travel.state.gov./travel_warnings.html <BR> <BR>Currently, there is a general cautionary warning for traveling Americans. I post this here just to inform & don't want to add to anyone's concerns about traveling abroad. <BR>On April 15th, I plan to board my American Airlines flight & I'm going on my Paris/Italy trip! <BR> <BR> <BR>PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT <BR>U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE <BR>Office of the Spokesman <BR> <BR>Worldwide Caution - Serbia-Montenegro <BR>March 26, 1999 <BR> <BR>Following the commencement of NATO military operations on March 24 against Serbia-Montenegro, there is the possibility for acts of retaliation against Americans and American interests worldwide. Demonstrations against these operations have taken place and are continuing at a number of U.S. embassies and institutions worldwide. These protests have sometimes turned violent. While the U.S. Government has no information regarding specific threats at this time, the potential exists for further violent acts directed at Americans and American interests worldwide. <BR>Although these demonstrations and acts of violence have not targeted tourist facilities or private Americans traveling or residing abroad, the Department of State urges U.S. citizens abroad to review their security practices, remain alert to the changing situation, and avoid areas where demonstrations are in progress. The U.S. has increased security at United States Government facilities worldwide. A number of our posts have temporarily suspended or limited services to the public at various times, and others may have to do so in the future. <BR>American citizens traveling or residing abroad should contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate by telephone or fax for up-to-date information on local security conditions. In addition, U.S. citizens planning to travel abroad should consult the Department of State’s Public Announcements, Travel Warnings, Consular Information Sheets, and regional travel brochures. <BR>This Public Announcement supersedes the March 24 "Worldwide Caution – Serbia-Montenegro" Public Announcement, supplements the March 17 Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, and expires April 30, 1999. <BR> <BR>