Reload this Page >

Train information

Search

Train information

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 10:01 AM
Katie

Train information

Where can I find information on the trains in Europe. Specifically, I am looking for a good source on what the trains in Europe are like and how to get around. Thanks so much.

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 10:23 AM
Richard

Katie, I think you'll find www.bahn.de/home_e/f-engl.htm very useful, just remember when entering city names to use the European version, e.g. Munich=Munchen, Florence=Firenze, Vienna=Wien, Cologne=Koln, Prague=Praha etc. The service is great, try www.ricksteves.com for good info on passes and travel hints.

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 10:50 AM
Bill Irving

Katie, Some websites you might try: <BR> <BR>www.raileurope.com <BR>www.eurail.on.ca/ <BR> <BR>A good book for that is Europe by Eurail or if you are traveling in Britain, - <BR>Britain by Britrail. I have used those books extensivly when planning my trips to Europe & using the train.(as well as Fodor's & other travel book's - I get the books that may cover the whole country & then smaller books that will cover only the local vicinity of the large cities I may be traveling to.) The book stores are usually out of those rail books. You have to be lucky to find it in stock. Or you could go to <BR>www.eurail.on.ca/bookstra.htm & find info &/or order the books from there. I have been to Europe 6 or 7 times & I have gotten an updated version of 1 or the other of those books for each trip there. These books give various cities that are used as base cities & then gives a number of options for day trips by train from those base cities. Describes what there is to see in those cities, & list some train schedules on getting to & from those daytrips. Also gives a little bit of information about trains. & general travel information. <BR>

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 01:32 PM
Mary Below

Another excellent site is www.footloosetravel.com. Has a lots of helpful information on railpass tips, what to buy, what not to buy, a rail map, a real good tips on how to use the train after you arrive in Europe. In my view, very helpful and practical.

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 04:16 PM
Linda

You might look at the German rail site at http://bahn.hafas.de Richard is correct about the city names. You can get schedules, amenities, fares, and stops.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 07:26 AM
Katie

Wow, thanks for all the info. That was quick. I checked out all the suggestions and all where helpful. The German site provided all the connections and times I requested. I also thought the footloose site was very informative and well organized. Thanks again.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 09:23 AM
Ben Haines

<BR> <BR>I have on disc a note on night trains in Europe, and have taken the liberty of sending it you by e-mail. <BR> <BR>Welcome to Europe <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 09:28 AM
Joanne

Just returned last night from France and Italy. We were able to use our Europasses from Paris to Nice, and had planned to use them several more days into Italy. However, there was a real or threatened (we never found out for sure) Italian rail strike. We were told that trains were cancelled, or that we would be put off the train on the border, or that we would arrive at a different destination. The situation changed from day to day. Since we had our kids with us, we abandoned our (expensive) passes and rented an expensive car. Ironically, we loved having the car. I don't think there is anyway of protecting yourself from Italian rail strikes, unless you're very flexible. We had prepaid some hotels, so needed to get to certain places. But our boys got a real laugh, because every time we came to a destination in Italy, we saw a train passing us! <BR>