Unmarried couples in convents?

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 01:25 PM
lina

Unmarried couples in convents?

Does anyone know if there are any problems with an unmarried couple staying in convents in Italy? It seems that some of them more or less run hotels. At check in, would there be a problem with different names on the passports?

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 12:14 AM
joelle

Cousins of mine (a married couple) stayed in a convent in Venice last year. I am afraid to say that they had to sleep separately in this convent. I know that other convents accept married couple being in the same room, but the "law" seems to be pretty strict for unmarried ones.

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 07:16 PM
kristin

I purchased a book called A Guide yo Lodging in Ital'ys Monasteries from Barnes and Noble by Eileen Barish. Most all state that unmarried couples are prohibiyed to room together. When are you going and where?

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 10:31 AM
lina

My partner and I are in our 50s, quiet and conservative. We've traveled to Italy almost every year for the past 10 years staying in simple 1 and 2 star hotels. I've seen the book, Bed and Blessings, and thought we might try a convent for a future trip (always planning at least a couple) - maybe in Rome, Venice or Tuscany/Umbria. However, we wouldn't want an embarrassing hassle at check-in.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 10:45 AM
edie

not only do the convents have separate rooms for males and females, most of them have dorm style rooms. i doubt there is any convent in italy that would rent a room to an unmarried couple.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 03:12 PM
IM Curious

How on earth would they know?

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 09:16 AM
michele

IMCurious raises an interesting point.
Several years ago my husband and I stayed at a convent in Venice ( yes, they are dorm style rooms). My passport was not in my married name so I don't know if they knew or cared if we were married.No one ever asked for any kind of proof.I don't know if other convents ask for a certificate, but I doubt it.

If you are considering a convent stay, I would book early as they fill up quickly.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 07:59 PM
pam

The presence or absence of a ring often signals marital status--then again, sometimes not. Some women wear a 'wedding' ring so men might be more likely to leave them alone. (Of course, some men don't put much store by wedding rings, and neither do some women, but that's another thread.)

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 08:17 PM
Rex

I've stayed off this thread - - for fear that I would get preachy, but whenever it pops back upo, it tempts me, and I'm giving in to the temptation.

I'm not overly moralistic, nor holier than thou. Before we were married, I am sure a hotel room was a welcome refuge more than once to me and my (then) fiancee (now wife).

But in a convent? The whole question smacks of disrespect. You know that the sisters there won't approve. Why do you want to come into their house? Just that bent on finding a bargain?

For me, being a good ambassador for America means not pushing my views on how to live on Europeans that live another way. There are other accommodations for unmarried couples than convents.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 08:32 PM
jumbonav

I think it is outrageous that you would want to do this. This would not only be a cultural faux pas, but a moral one as well. Find a hotel if you must travel as a couple out of wedlock.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 06:46 PM
Mares

I agree with the two previous responses. Duh. . .Show some respect and a little class. Why would you consider staying in a convent if you even had questions about the appropriateness of it?? Amazing. . .

Old Jan 15th, 2000, 10:33 AM
not-moralizing

REX, I am so glad you gave into temptation on this one.

Lina dear, if you have to be concerned about it, why would you want to do it? Enjoy your vacation stress-free. Either sleep alone (the way the experience is probably meant to be to begin with) or look for an alternative.

Old Jan 15th, 2000, 04:58 PM
dahlia

Rex, you'll be surprised on how expensive convents are nowadays. Casa Brigida in Campo di Fiori (Sp?) is about $150/night; a convent in Venice quoted me $55/night/person (w/o breakfast). I agree with most everybody here though, it is a convent, it is about their values and religion, give them their due respect.

Old Jan 15th, 2000, 06:33 PM
Rex

Thanks Dahlia,

When demand can't keep up with availability, increases in prices are a natural consequence.

In her item on Santa Brigida last September - - www.latimes.com - - Susan Spano mentioned that demand was way ahead of availability there - - so much so that they didn't want to let her stay there since she is a travel writer. And of couse, she wrote them up glowingly anyway. I'm sure that will help the demand-availability imbalance - - NOT!

Sometimes I wonder why any of us tell anyone about anyplace!

Hey everybody, don't go to Ghent, it's terrible!

Go to Gary, Indiana!