Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice Hotel - Hotel ai do Mori vs. Caneva

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 12:48 PM
celeste

Will appreciate it if someone can give me feedbacks or comments re their experience in staying in those hotels. I am most interested in how far the hotel is from the nearest vaporetto, cleanliness of the room, ambiance (view?) and distance to attractions. I got rates from them already and have to decide where to stay. Thanks.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 05:47 PM
Sally

Hotel Ai do Mori is clean, comfortable,and about the closest hotel to San Marco and the Clock tower. It is right on a very busy, noisy souvenir shop street. The manager is very pleasant. There is no elevator- we stayed on the fifth floor- a good view of San Marco.As I remember, the price was very reasonable.

We stayed there five years ago on our first trip to Venice and enjoyed it despite the noise and steep stairs, but on our other trips we have chosen to stay further away from San Marco Piazza where it is quieter and more picturesque- not on a busy shopping street.

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Paulo

Haven't stayed at the ai do Mori, Celeste. Have used the Caneva a century ago and was very pleased with the big, bright, clean room I got overlooking the Ramo della Fava (canal). Recently there was a post of somebody that had been there a couple of years ago and apparently liked it a lot. I like the location of the Caneva better. Midway between San Marco and Rialto it's not as close to the San Marco hustle bustle as the do Mori. It's much quieter. Actually, the Caneva most probably is the best 1-star I've used in Venice. Now, if you're travelling in the summer, things change a bit ... between the two I would take the do Mori because of the A/C which is a must (as long as I know, the Caneva doesn't have it).
Paulo

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 06:34 AM
Paulo

Regarding distance from tghe nearest vaporetto, both hotels are about the same (250mts) ... the do Mori, across San Marco square to San Zacaria, and the Caneva, over the bridge, to San Bartolomeo and Rialto. Ooops, in the above post, Ramo della Fava is the street where the Caneva is located ... the canal is the Rio della Fava.
Paulo

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 04:05 PM
celeste

I just got an availability and rate (about $220/night with canal view) from Casa Verardo. Did anyone stay here already? Please share your experience or comments. Thanks!

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 04:38 PM
Sally

We had a confirmed with a fax reservation at Casa Verado this September.I called from the Paris airport at 11 am to say we would be late getting to the hotel due to a missed plane connection, but that we were definitely coming that night. When we arrived there, the owner's wife very apologetically said that they had written the reservation down for October instead of September and they didn't have any rooms!! However they had made us a reservation at the Riva so we did have a room - thank goodness! This, along with a missed plane connection in Paris due to a late flight(Air France). did not make for a good beginning to our trip. However, the rest of the trip was great- except the Riva was very noisy at night because of canal traffic. So I would think twice about reserving at Casa Verado again, although I have heard good things about it.

Old Jan 15th, 2000, 04:43 PM
celeste

I am leaning on reserving at the Hotel ai do Mori but the only thing I am not comfortable is the noise level around that hotel. Did anyone experience a "sleepless night" while staying there? Thanks.

Old Jan 15th, 2000, 08:31 PM
Sally

Ai do Mori was noisy- street noise, but we did not have sleepless nights. We were more disturbed by the all night canal traffic when we stayed at the Riva. We prefer Hotel Silva, another one star hotel, located on a quiet canal near Maria Formosa about a five minute walk from San Marco.It is not quite as attractive as ai do Mori but we really like the picturesque location. Of course, in any hotel you can sometimes have noise due to thin walls and loud babies in the next room. If you want info about Hotel Silva, search the archives. I have posted it before.