United-no more Milan?

Oct 25th, 2002, 05:16 PM
ff

United-no more Milan?

Is it true? United is no longer flying to Milan?

Oct 25th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Toni

Wow! I hadn't heard this. Where in Italy would United then fly? Please, anyone answer this question soon. Thanks.

Oct 25th, 2002, 06:01 PM
KT

It's true. This is from a press release on United's website:

Beginning Jan. 7, 2003, United will close stations in Caracas, Venezuela; Santiago, Chile; and Dusseldorf, Germany. On January 22, 2003, United will close its station in Milan, Italy.

Oct 25th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Jason

Sign of the times.Other stations destinations and airlines will do the same very soon.Reality is not always pleasant I am sorry to see and say.

Oct 25th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Noel

They have also asked for an extension on a $300m payment due to a German bank in November, hinting that bankruptcy may be necessary if the extension is not granted.

Oct 25th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Sue

Delta still flies there, I believe?

Oct 25th, 2002, 07:09 PM
richard

I bet they are counting on their new code share partner Lufthansa and Air Dolomiti to pick up a lot of the business to Dusseldorf and Milan. Its not uncommon for an airline to drop a city when they introduce code sharing to it with another airline.

Unfortunately the once great giant is loosing ground. It seems like it is becoming a chore to fly "The Friendly Skys" these days.

Oct 25th, 2002, 07:16 PM
carolync

WAAAAAAH!!!!

United to Milan is the only direct flight from the DC area to Italy. I'll be sorry to see it go.

Perhaps if they didn't give the flights away they could continue it. We paid $371, and they just had a fare sale of $329.

Oct 25th, 2002, 08:56 PM
xxx

carolync, If they did not give the fares away you would not fly them. You would fly somenoe else with lower fares. What other industry has lower prices now than 20 years ago? Something has to go. Delta and American are also talking about bankruptcy. Soon we will be canoeing to Milan or taking Air Tran. I know everyone loves to hate the air lines but where will we be when we cannot fly where we want when we want? The skies are not friendly anywhere these days not just United.

Oct 26th, 2002, 12:22 AM
loveitalia

I am flying United Airlines into and out of Milano in December and January. Thankfully my return flight will be in just under the 22nd cutoff date. Alas! Perhaps they will pick up another city? Roma? or will we have to settle for Frankfurt on Lufthansa being the closest city to Italia? Io sono triste.

Oct 27th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Steve

I was one day away from booking award travel to Milan when United pulled the plug. Are there any options left - where else could one fly to on United and then take a train to Milan? Maybe from Munich or Geneva? What about United partners that accept Mileage plus miles? I have a ton of United miles and would like to do a couple of more trips to Italy if possible. Anyone found a solution yet?

Search this Thread