Search

United Kingdom

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
United Kingdom

G'Day from Australia

My husband of 10 years and my 8 year old daughter are looking at touring the United Kingdom (England, Ireland, Scottland and Wales) in 2013. Wondering if anyone out there can give us tips on the best time to go and how long to spend over there to relaxingly take it all in.

Want to visit all the main attractions and take in the country side. Not sure if we would be hiring a car or a RV to do this trip either. Are not into the night seen but rather the family Christian scene. Advice most welcome.

This is my first time on Fodors, my eyes were opened up to the site by a good mate

Await advice and responsed.

Cheers

eadodd
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 09:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>how long to spend over there to relaxingly take it all in.</i>"

You are talking 4 countries-and there is no way to take them <i>all</i> in in a lifetime let alone one holiday.

You could spend a month in Scotland and barely scratch the surface . . .or you could see Edinburgh and 1 or 2 other areas in maybe 7 or 8 days.

same for Ireland - 2 weeks would let you see Dublin and a bit of the scenic west coast/SW. Or you could spend a month.

London - a minimum of a week and still miss a lot

Wales- a week in the north and a week in the south would give you a taste.

So you need to figure out what your own 'musts' are. And how much time is realistic for you and then we can help you refine/pare things down. (In general, an RV is not the way to go. Though it can be done)
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 11:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to Fodors, based on you being based in OZ (12 hours away from UK) it is worth talking about how fodors works. Contributors tend to look at the column to the left to chose what to write about. Depending on how their computer is set they will have 100, 50, or 25 items to look at. When you pick up these emails in ??? hours time you may find tht you are no longer in that list of 100?? items. If that happens your dialogue has disappeared from all but Janisj, my and any other contributors sight. Which limits the amount of advice you will receive

So last thing at night stick it back at the top with a ttt message just to make sure you get the most input.

UK is a very dense place, packed with history ("see the towering years") and people (hence the queues). Normally I would avoid recommending August as a holiday period but this year we have a giant sports day, because of this I think that the UK outisde London will be empty so come on down
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 12:25 AM

"Are not into the night seen but rather the family Christian scene"

Then you may well have chosen the wrong country. If "family Christian scene" is meant literally, you won't find one: Britain is probably the most post-religious country on earth, though the Republic of Ireland's catching up fast. Church attendance remains high in Northern Ireland, but few would mistake the province's still surviving culture of bitterness and invented self-righteous victimisation for Christianity. Least of all, I suspect, its founder who'd be turning in his grave at what Ulsterfolk do in his name if he hadn't risen from it.

If you do mean the phrase literally, you'll almost certainly get more help from your church at home in tracking down UK sympathisers than on this forum. You'll find here a great deal of expertise on, and sympathy for, our ecclesiastical heritage as surviving in church buildings, church music (celebrated better in the Oxford-Cambridge-London triangle than anywhere on earth) and our stock of great European religious paintings. You'll even find occasional expertise on outstanding preaching. - but I've never encountered any contributor here with any insight into "the family Christian scene"

If the phrase means just spending your evenings doing things as a family, you've posed us an interesting challenge, and I'm sure people would love to make suggestions (including good works). Few Fodors contributors (and frankly few grownup Britons) have much interest in the "night scene" if you mean hanging round clubs. There are many alternatives - but they rarely involve seeking out co-religionists
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input. Have just started looking into our trip. Will put up points of interest in bout a week and see what you think.

have a great week
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 04:13 AM

Is this the kind of thing you had in mind?
http://www.christianholidayguide.co.uk
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 04:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ref the Christian family scene, DH and i once happened upon a hotel which was being run along those lines when we were looking for accommodation in the Lake district. I'll leave it to you to decide whether we stayed or not.

whether it/similar places are still in existence i don't know.

to treat your query more widely, there are many places where you can have a "family" holiday, from the old-fashioned sea-side resort with your buckets and spades, to the more organised "Centre Parcs" with holiday and caravan camps [not as grim as they once were] in between. you would also find a very wholesome atmosphere at most youth hostels where you can now arrive by car without being told never to darken their doors again.

as for how much time you need, of course you can't see the whole of the UK in one hit. you could pick a theme [castles, churches, old houses] and tour round, or pick one area and just see that, with perhaps London at one or other end of the trip.

good luck!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 05:55 AM

The mind boggles. What happens at a Christian hotel?
Do they have prayers at breakfast?
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:31 AM

Yes, that's all Christians do is pray at meals.

The anti-religion bias on this board is rather condescending and that assessment is from one who would be found wanting by someone much less devout than the OP. The simple fact is the OP seems to be desirous of avoiding hotels that will have stag or hen parties or rowdy partiers or 65+ year old EU MPs chasing around mistresses or hotel staff 1/3 their age or similar.

The site that PatrickLondon directed them to does not necessarily direct visitors to Christian-themed places - the first lodging I looked at didn't say anything about being Christian-traveler oriented.

For the OP: figure out what you really want to see and why (historic sites, top cities, castles, museums, whisky distilleries [you are Aussie, after all], etc.) and you'll get far more help. And Ireland isn't in the UK, Northern Ireland is.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lets all calm down and ask the OP what she really wants from her holiday and the term "the family Christian scene" rather than guess.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 09:21 AM

I'd not consider an RV. For cities, I'd not rent a car, but use public transit.

As a sample...could land in London and spend some time there. Day trips to Windsor Castle/Stonehenge/Bath a possibility.

From there could rent a car to see contryside. OR...take train to Edinburgh. See city, rent car and see countryside. OR...fly to Dublin, spend couple of days, then drive countryside.

Either way, fly home from where you finish, no bakc-tracking to London.

As mentioned above, there is too much for you to see on one trip. So you need to get a guide or two and pick your priorities, and determine your time available.

You could say, for example, I know what my list is for London, can someone recommend a nice 5 day drive in English countryside to see some villages and old churches...
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:02 AM

Not sure what you mean by "family Christian scene" but if you mean you want to be able to regularly attend evangelical church services - agree that you should get info about this from your local church. they probably have ideas of where this type of church may be found - or active evangelical communities.

If you just mean a family focused vacation versus a party trip - then tell us and people canmake a lot of recos.
'
The key thing is how long you have - and agree you will have to pick and choose very carefully unless you have months to spend.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:12 AM

And give us a budget!

Staying longer in London, for example, could mean renting an appartment. B&Bs are also a possibility

You might weant to clarify 'night scene'. For example... would a visit to an Irish pub to hear trad music be a no-no?
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your tips. Need to sit down and list places we really want to see.

In relation to the Christian family scene , sorry for the controversy. Just meant that did not want to stay at pubs or clubs. Sorry for the confusion.

Still need to know good time to go. Want to see flowers in bloom etc. Dont like the cold too much but yes I know we are talking the UK. Have decided against the RV. Cheers

Thanks again
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Patrick London. Thank you so much. This is exactly what we are looking for. Thanks again
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:03 PM

"Least of all, I suspect, its founder who'd be turning in his grave . . ."

Um, I think the idea is that this grave is empty.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:49 PM

"Flowers in bloom". From late April onwards, and if this year's anything to go by, spring is getting earlier and earlier (there are some forsythia and mimosa coming out near me, and a couple of the lobelias I put in my window-boxes last May are <i>still</i> in flower). May/June would be about right - long daylight hours, and gardens coming to their early best.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM

My husband and I spent 12 days in England and Wales in May 2007. We aren't big drinkers, but we ate in a few pubs and had an occasional ale. You can eat in most pubs as a family with no problems, and they usually have good food at a reasonable price.

If you'd like to read my trip report and see pictures, click on my screen name and it should show up.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 01:27 PM

I forgot to mention that we got to see most of what we wanted to see in our 12 days, but had to cut out a lot. It takes longer to get from place to place than you might think, so keep that in mind as you plan.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 05:30 AM

Old gripe - but Ireland is not in the United Kingdom. Northern Ireland is the Republic of Ireland is not. Nothing nationalistic about the comment, but it is the same as saying that New Zealand is part of Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -