Unique items to bring back from Rome

Old Apr 1st, 2012, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unique items to bring back from Rome

Wondering what are some of your favorite things you have brought back from Rome? Not souvenir type things, but maybe something personal or something for your home that you found in Rome. Anything locally made that I should seek out?
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 05:21 PM
jgg

I always enjoy buying what I call "street art" - where I buy art from the artist selling it on the street often at a fair, or like the one I have from Rome, one evening in the Piazza Navona. I find something that strikes my fancy and have it properly framed when I get home. I have art from all over the world, and each time I look at them it reminds me of our trip.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 06:38 PM

I'm not a souvenir shopper but when in Rome, I love to stop at Ai Monasteri just off Piazza Navona for lovely convent/monastery made goods. Their soaps, lotions, chocolates and cordials are incredible quality and the store is beautiful. Much cheaper than Santa Maria Novella a few blocks south. Otherwise, I like leather goods (mostly mde in Florence, check stitching, hardware and quality closely) or small religious souvenirs sold in the churches.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM

Jgg, we bought some paintings from a street artist near the Trevi - turns out that they we painted by Xerox. Ah well, we still remember the quiet smile on the face of the vendor.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 09:25 PM

I like to bring food home. The last trip to rome I brought back a big chunk of parmesan that they shrink wrapped after they cut it. It was a delightful souvenir for a month or so.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 09:53 PM

one was an accident. i bought a sheet of stamps at the vatican and, when we went to use them in sorrento, realized that they can only be used for mail sent from vatican city!!

...but the best souvenir from rome was thanks to my d.h. we had been in a restaurant in umbria 2 years before and i fell in love with the soap dispenser in the bathroom. (crystal and steel-- on a pivot. you tip it upside down to get the soap out. a real work of art.) i drew it for my hubbie and talked about it the rest of the trip.

well-- 2 years later, he comes walking up the street toward me with a big smile. he had wandered into a kitchen design store (near the spanish steps) and found the soap dispenser!!! he had never seen the actual item before-- only my drawing!! we use it every day and people always ask where we got it. how great is he?? that's my favorite souvenir from rome!!!
kawh
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:17 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-from-rome.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...from-italy.cfm
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:39 AM

You should try to find some thing made of local stone Travertino, called also the marble of poor (marmo dei poveri). It's of white color and it is very typical for Rome. You can find some sculptures in the center of Rome.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:40 AM

Limoncello
Frascata Wine a nice white made
in the Alban Hills south of Rome
We bought beautiful kiln forged kitchen deco items there(a rooster)Vatican memorabilia for Christians Stamps get passport stamped send post from smallest independent religious state in the world

Happy deciding!
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:24 AM

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...ng-detail.html
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:12 AM

Bookmarking for upcoming trip. Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Great link zeppole! Enigma sounds great as does the guy who will carve marble!