Unique Dining in Rome

Search

Unique Dining in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unique Dining in Rome

I know Rome is a food lover's dream and that there are tons of options. However, I've been pouring through website after website looking for a UNIQUE dining experience. No, I am not interested in SupperClub. I am looking for something with a spectacular view, great show, or something else that makes you say "wow." Of course, the food must be excellent and not too ridiculously priced.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:24 AM

The only restaurants that I can think of with a spectacular view are the Hassler and the Eden Hotels restaurants. I don't think the food at either is worth the money. The "show" restaurant I can think of is Fantasie de Trastevere or something like that. Tour groups do that one night and although I've never been, have heard it is bordering on tacky and also overpriced and medicore food. What is unique to Rome? Well, the church is a thought. There is a restaurant called L'Eau Vive that is located in a palazzo near the Pantheon and serves excellent French food. The waitresses are lay nuns and before dessert they lead the diners in song. That's pretty unique. Or, you could eat among ruins out on the Appian Way at Hosteria Antiqua Roma or something like that. I can get the exact name if you are interested. In general, Romans and all Italians, go to restaurants to enjoy the food and the company of whom they are with, not to be distracted by shows.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:29 AM

www.dapancrazio.it is a great place. Finding it is easier than giving directions. We love it.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

I am not looking to be distracted by shows. I am looking for a special dining experience as a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday.

I want great food but a unique experience.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Are you going when the weather will be warm enough for dining outside? Pick a restaurant in one of Rome's beautiful piazzas, and I assure you, it will be memorable.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Have you been to Rome before? Won't being there and experiencing the city be unique enough?

Generally speaking, if you go to a restaurant for the spectacular view, etc. (anything other than the food), then the food is not going to be as much of the main attraction. I'd rather be saying "wow" at the food, though within reason - I still want a great ambiance to complement the food.

Also, what is your idea of "not too ridiculously priced? We had a lovely dinner at Camponeschi last year; it's located in Piazza Farnese, a beautiful setting. The service was impeccable and the food was great, though not the best I've had in Rome. We were taken to dinner, so I don't know the price, but it would probably fit most peoples' idea of expensive. I guess I would give it a "wow" for the experience as a whole, though it probably wasn't unique.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM

I actually ate at L'Eau Vivre when I was in Rome in November. The food is pretty good, but it's basically French (kind of INternational, but mostly French). It was definitely an experience, and I enjoyed it. But it was the most expensive meal I had in Rome ... though not super-expensive.