Unique Children's Gifts from London and/or Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaving in less than 2 weeks for our long awaited trip to London and Paris. (Yay!) I am starting my "gift" list of souvenirs I'd like to bring home and I'm stumped when it comes to the children in my life. I don't want to bring home t-shirts or cheap trinkets. I would like to get something from 1 or both places for a 12 year old boy, 6 year old girl and a 4 year old boy.

Are there any unique toys for the little ones that I could look for?

I was thinking maybe an Asterix comic book for the 12 year old. He has taken French so that might be fun for him. Any other ideas?
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a shop called Octopus in London and Paris which has quite unusual things, you might find something there. Everything is brightly coloured and they have everyday things that are decorated in an unusual manner. Not sure about gifts for the boys but I've seen things in there I'd buy for my young niece.
http://www.octopusshop.com/junior.html

Kay
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM

The museum shops in Paris always have wonderful, unusual things.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM

There is a shop called Pylones on Ile St Louis that has some neat items. Also on the Left Bank, I came across a tiny shop that sold only Petit Prince items. I did not keep the address, on one of the small streets running to Seine..
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Also across (and down)the street from Pylones on the Ile is a store called L'Arche de Noe, which has great toys, puppets and kiddie cups and plates with Barbapapa, Babar, the Little Prince, etc.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Our grandchildren loved Pylones and bought several things there.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:46 AM

There is also the Oiseau de Paradis, Boulevard St Germain for wonderful old-fashioned toys!
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
BKP

Will you be visiting the Tower of London? Their gift shop is great. My rec's a knight themed chess set for the 12 year old boy, tons of princessy dress up things like crowns for the 6 year old girl and a build it yourself trebuchet or catapult kit for the 4 year old boy. (or swords or bows And arrows but make sure weapons are okay first)
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:43 PM

If they are in to sport you might consider going to a sports shop and getting an official England or France rugby ball ... a bit novel for most people in the US.

Any book shop would also have a basic guide on how to play rugby.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM

A vote for Pylones. BTW, my kiddos love Paris tee shirts so don't write tose off!
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Wow - so many wonderful ideas! Thanks to all!

BKP - love the chess set idea as that is right up his alley. The 6 year old already fancies herself a princess so a crown is perfect and what a neat idea for the youngest!

I also like the idea of the rugby ball - something we could all learn and do together when we get home.

Definitely excited to check out all these toy shops and of course the museum shops.

Avalon - only written off because the 12 year old hates souvenir shirts (its the age I guess) and the little ones' mother doesn't like them either (for her kids) so I'd rather spend the money elsewhere
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM

You've gotten some great advice.

My girls loved the colorful bike bells from Pylones. They are more 'girl' colors, so may not be appropriate for boys.

L'Arche de Noel is a great store. Got some really fun Barbapapa things (plates, etc.) there when the kids were younger.

I just visited the Roald Dahl museum and my kids *loved* the things I brought back from there... It is out of central London, but you can shop online.
http://www.roalddahlstore.com/Departments/Games.aspx

Order them now and have them shipped and you can do your own shopping! My 9yo loves the Twits card game and my 8yo loves the 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' game and my 6yo loves the Willy Wonka pj's.

From Hamley's in London, we brought back color changing markers that the younger ones liked. They also had very fun UFO's that are very easy to fly. (we got the UFO below, but the helicopter would be better for older kids).

double magic pens: http://www.hamleys.com/Double_Magic_...efault,pd.html

helicopter: http://www.hamleys.com/Dyna_Blade_He...efault,pd.html

flying UFO: http://www.hamleys.com/Flying_UFO_%7...efault,pd.html
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM

A double decker bus was something that kids we bought for really got a kick out of. We got some cute things in Harrod's, though there are probably better prices elsewhere. Even the airport will have some good things, if you are not able to find the 'right' things. It will provide an option for something before heading home.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Candy!

Books are nice, but sometimes I cheat. I look up the IBSN number while in the store. If Amazon sells it I buy it through them and have it shipped so I don't have to shlepp around armfuls of books.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Paddington Bear (preferably bought in Paddington Railway Station). They have him in Hamleys too. There is always Rupert the bear, but I'm more partial to Paddington. The markers in Hamleys mentioned above are fun too and they have a board thing they are always demonstrating on the ground floor where you scrape through plastic taking off black to reveal colour underneath and make pictures that way (bit like a strange magna doodle) again the kids I had loved it.

For the 12 year old boy The Science Museum in London has a great shop too full of the oddest and most interesting items. (free entry into museum). My nephew loved that store when he was younger. If he has some French you could pick up the first Harry Potter book in French, I did that for myself just for practice and it was fun to read it in French when I knew it in English.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
BKP

KK_Cat -- The Science Museum is a great idea! Because the museum is free you really can just pop into the gift store if you like. Also, its near to the Natural History Museum so if any of the kids are dinosaur fans that is also a good place to pop in and out.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Another vote for a Paddington Bear. My 40 year old DD still has hers from when she was six. He was her favorite bed companion, and he is flat as a pancake from being slept with/on for years.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 01:20 AM

Them Paddington Bears used to be made by Jeremy Clarkson’s mum. CHOLMONDLEYTRUFACT!
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 03:04 AM

In London, Dragons of Walton Street has some very English gifts, that you can have personalized. Expensive though.
www.dragonsofwaltonstreet.com.
The Science Museum and Natural History Museum as mentioned, are great for gifts.
If they like Harry Potter, last time I was there Marks & Spencer's had some good stuff; dressing-up clothes, pyjamas.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 05:34 AM

Good thread! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -