"Unexplored Paris"

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Unexplored Paris"

I have several Paris guidebooks, but they all seem to describe the same sights - mostly ones we have already enjoyed. We like to explore off the beaten path, and I have seen the book "Unexplored Paris" recommended. It's not cheap - even used on Amazon - so I'm wondering if any one is familiar with the book, or any other that describes such signts?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM

That book is available for $29.99 at the Amazon.com merchants listings...

"The Secret Gardens of Paris" is nice if not terribly exciting:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/050...F8&me=&seller=

Rather than a book, you might be interested in this program:
http://www.meetingthefrench.com/
- find the 'Parisiens at work' tours...
Haven't done it myself, kind of 'appointment adverse' on vacation...
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Travelnut, for the information. I, too, am "appointment adverse" on vacation. I've had some fine tips from www.ourparisforum.com in the past, so will search that site again.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM

A couple years ago we did a little exploration of the Butte aux Cailles area in the 13th, starting at M:Corvisart and working our way over to Parc Monceau. Sweet little 'village' at the Cite Florale..

http://goparis.about.com/od/parisnei...te_Cailles.htm
http://www.parissweethome.com/parisr...t_uk.php?id=59
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM

If you read Fodors you'll find a gazillion off-the-beaten-path suggestions for free. Just do a search and enjoy a few hundred posts.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If it's in a book, and even more so a book in English, it certainly is not "unexplored".

Will be doing a photo report on the "Campagne" district of the 20th arrondissement soon. Since I took me more than 30 years of living in Paris to discover this place, it would qualify as "unexplored" if it is mentioned in anybody's book.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Travelnut. We did a brief exploration of the Butte aux Cailles area, but looking at your recommended websites, we seem to have missed a great deal - will return!
Thanks, StCirq - I will keep searching on Fodors for the always fine suggestions.
kerouac- I'll be looking for your photo report on the "Campagne" district - must be a well kept secret if it took you 30 years of living in Paris to discover it!
We'll be staying in the 17th for the 4th time - love that area and find something new each time.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Have you walked the "Promenade Plantee?"
Walked Canal St. Martin?
Visited Batignolles? (17th arr.)
Visited Passy (16th arr.)
Place Gustave Toudouze?
Cité de Trévise?
Place Aligre market?
Neighborhoods in the double digit arrondisements?

These are some of the places I want to visit when next in Paris.

Please write us a trip report after your return with your new found treasures!

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 07:01 AM
tod

Yes, I have that book "Unexplored Paris" and tend to agree with Kerouac about the places not being a secret any longer.
I do however think the author is basically pointing out some areas and interests the returning tourist may like to find and explore on his or her own.
For instance - What about the Tadpole pond in Jardin Naturel, rue de La Reunion, in the 20th? WHAT? (I hear you say...)
'I haven't spent all this money to come and see a tadpole pond!!!' - Well, it's not only about the pond.
It's about the rustling of the tree tops drowned out by the clamour of school children at recess. It's about a paradise for birds. It's about getting out into the suburbia of Paris and chilling for an hour or two. And, you never know what you will see along the way there ( or back)!
Funny thing is - Rue de la Reunion stops at the massive wall of Pere-Lachaise cemetery where so many tourists spend a lot of time.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Spend a day in Belleville.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM

On our last visit we did the Promenade Plante - it was late May and there were lovely flowers. Another day we visited the Paris Mosque and the botanical garden / zoo that is near there. There is also a hamman in or near the mosque that would be interesting but have not tried it yet.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Bookmarking for good suggestions here.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, luvparee. We've done most of your suggestions, and are staying in the 17th, but we don't mind going back to special places - that is why we keep returning to Paris! tod, thanks for sharing your views about the book, and we will definitely find the Tadpole Pond. I used to love to catch them as a kid. suec1, we've walked the Promenade Plante but not visited the Paris Mosque - will definitely put it on the list. Thanks to all of you for suggestions. We were supposed to be in Paris last month, but my husband had a TIA the week before we were to leave, and at doctor's advice, we cancelled the trip. He's fine now, and we have reservations to return in October, so plenty of time to plan.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM

How about a self-guide tour of Hector Guimard's influence..?

http://hublotiere.free.fr/english/guimard.html

http://peter-olson.blogspot.com/2007...struction.html

http://www.paris-eiffel-tower-news.c...mard-land.html
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut, I have admired the Art Noveau metro stops, but did not know the artist/designer - nor that he had done so much - from buildings to furniture! The three web sites are most informative - and the photographs are awesome. I will definitely plan a self-guided tour of Guimard's influence and do some research on his life. Thank you so much for posting this!
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 04:43 AM

Hey, we'll probably work it into our fall trip as well, as I haven't 'gotten' there yet. I agree it looks like a nice stroll around...
Not related, but I enjoyed looking for the 'plaques' on the walls in Amsterdam so I figure this will be a similar pleasure.
http://www.amsterdamsegevelstenen.nl/
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 06:56 AM
tod

roamer - We have just returned home after spending our last 2 nights in the 17th! We LOVED it! It's vibrant with so much going on. Will try and start my trip report this week.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM

We used "The Secret Gardens of Paris" and were delighted by what we found. In addition, we wandered the architecturally-interesting Auteuil area.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I just started a new thread with this completely secret area: http://tinyurl.com/lawqpw
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM

tod, hurry! can't wait for your report.

kerouac, I enjoy all of your photos and thanks for bringing us secrets to explore the "next" time. Loved the cafe story.
I had my own small adventure revolving around a cafe.

thanks to all for your tips. September 28 cannot come soon enough.

roamer, happy travels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information