Undiscovered Venice Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. A Family of 5 is making our first trip to Venice in two weeks. We are looking for recommendations of some family restaurnats that would give us all the flavor of the city without all the crowds!! We have one special night for just the adults so one special recommendation would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:44 PM
rex

www.anticomartini.com would get my vote for the special night. Okay for a family also. The website might make you think "too catering to tourists" - - don't be put off by that.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have a specific recommendation but a couple thoughts: Look in outlying residential neighborhoods instead of areas around the main tourist sites. Ask at your hotel front desk for recommendations.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 12:36 AM

When we were there last year, we ate a lovely meal at La Donna Onesta (3922, Ponte de Dona Onesta, between the Frari and Ca' Foscari). We were the only non-Italians there. Just don't make the mistake we did and greedily order antipasti, primi piatti, main courses and vegetable side dishes. We only managed to eat about half what we ordered!! Do what the Italians around us were doing - order one course at a time, and pick and choose until you're full!
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 04:12 AM

We ate at Taverna San Travoso in the Dorsoduro section twice last week. It had been recommended by others on this forum. The food was great and the prices reasonable. Most other restaurants were twice as expensive. This restaurant also has a non-smoking section. Our favorite dishes were noodles w/ mushrooms & tomato cream sauce, osso bucco, and fish soup (a meal in itself).
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:02 AM

I highly recommend the Venice restaurant list posted by Shannon on Slowtrav.com. http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restau...ce_shannon.htm

We used 3 of her recommendations on our recent trip...all were excellent and authentic. Osteria da Alberto would fit the bill for a family meal in a not-fancy setting, slightly off the beaten track (but an easy walk from most places). The pastas there were memorable -- we had a lasagna that was light as air, and a delicious spaghetti alla vongole. Have fun!

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:26 AM

Certainly not undiscovered, but the pizza place at the foot of the Accademia bridge on the Dorsudoro side is a good bet for a family. (They have things besides pizza too.) It's called Trattoria Foscarini I think.

Another area to look is in the Canneregio near the Jewish Museum. We had a nice meal in a casual place right near the museum.

I have a note from someone else about a place called Osteria alle Botteghe on Calle Botteghe between San Stefano & Palazzo Grassi (workingman's diner-locals-no smoking) Also Osteria da Carla (reco from Bob the navigator) inexpensive).

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:45 AM

Trattoria San Toma, Campo San Toma. 2 minute walk from San Toma vaporetto stop. Pizza and bargain set menu available in addition to other dishes. Simple neighborhood place, very casual, good food, even good desserts. Outdoor dining in private garden or in the campo in good weather.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone and I think we are set for our 3 day adventure. We are staying at the Westin Europa so hopefully some of these are close by. I will certainly get Shannon's list!! With 3 teenagers, advice for stops/shopping, as well, would be appreciated. Regards and thanks again.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:06 AM

People rave about your hotel so you should have a great trip. Most of the places we've mentioned though are a bit off the beaten track & your hotel is not.

Let me add some suggestions for your special night. While I loved Antico Martini (for New Year's Eve) at this time of year you might prefer something with a canal view. By all accounts, Da Raeffele attached to the Do Pozzi Hotel fits the bill. Also, the bar/rest at your hotel is supposed to have a great view!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:58 AM

I can recommend Hotel Cipriani for the adult only night. It's expensive, but the view from the terrace, as well as the food and service, are wonderful.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:04 AM

forget to eat well at a reasonable price in Venice. I live there and it's better for you to leave venice for Mestre or Padua.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Wow. are there any places you recommend in either of those locations? Also, will casual attire(nice shorts) present any problem in a nice restaurant this time of year? Thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:10 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Venice in June. We had the best dinner experience at a place called Trattoria Antica Bessetta in San Polo. I have posted a longer "review" of the resturant on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some other useful information there too

Regards
gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:54 AM
ira

Dear garylinda,

I certainly hope that you don't intend to wear shorts to your "one special night" dinner.

Otherwise, wear whatever you want, you'll never see those people again.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Touche! Ira. I will have at least one pair of pants!!! Any special advice for 3 teengagers in Venice? Thanks Gard and I'll check out your review. We still have 10 days so plenty of research time left. Thanks everyone. Regards.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:55 AM
DRJ

Since your question is regarding "undiscovered" restaurants, I'll recommend Avogaria in Dorsoduro.

Walking from the Accademia area toward Campo Santa Margharita make a left after you cross the bridge entering Campo San Barnaba. Walk (probably about a half mile) on that calle until you cross a bridge. Avogaria will be on your left after about a hundred or so feet ahead.

The interior is strikingly modern and the food and wine are worth the walk. There will be no tourists.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 06:50 AM

I did a LOT of research on this:

Vini da Gigio
Alla Testiere

We didn't eat at those spots but we did at "Corte Sconta." Superb.

Our criteria were high quality food at under $100 for two with wine.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 07:38 AM

Having just returned (great stay at E&R) from a late June stay, ALL of our meals were about $50 a head with wine.

Corta Sconta is more. They have no menu, and the hostess/owner pushes you to order a full three course (antipasta/pasta/fish) meal - the antipasta alone is 26E. Pasta was 14E, main was 18E. Food was excellent, but I felt like I was in a factory

Alle Testiere has become very creative in type of cooking - too creative IMO, and often doesn't work. Not cheap. Two people was $135 with cheapest wine on list, one desert. Also, book late seating otherwise they'll rush you out.

Compared to the US, Venice is still moderate. However, it is substantially more than rural Italy.

A great time can be had on Torcello at lunch at Ponte de Diavolo (sp).

Ciao.

Coachboy
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 04:01 PM

I had heard the ladies at Sconta were pushy but we didn't get that from them.

Our party of 5 just laid back, drank wine, ate appetizers and a couple of primi piattis and salads and got away cheap.

I suppose it's been well-discussed on this Board many times, but we could NEVER wade through the full meals and were never made to feel we should.

We went to the Veneto "to eat and to eat good" and we did and met with kind and professional service at every place we visited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -