undeveloped film

Search

undeveloped film

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
undeveloped film

is it better to carry undeveloped film on board or check it through thanks leaving thursday so appreciate answer
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:25 PM

I also leave on Thursday and had the same question. According to the TSA website they recommend you carry it on and advise the TSA agent you have film. They do not recommend you put it in your luggage. I will say however I have put film in my suitecase in the past and id not have a problem. I guess if you want to be safest just carry it on..
Hope that helps.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Even airport security warns that their machines for checked through luggage is too strong for film. You must take it as carry-on, and preferably have it hand checked. X-rays are cumulative. European security does not usually accept hand-checking so I use a lead-lined bag which forced a hand checking of my carry-on luggage.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Hand luggage X-Ray machines are a lot weaker than the ones they use for hold luggage so never, unless forced to put film in hold luggage.

As for putting them in lead lined bags, it just encourages the security folk to put them trough the machine a couple more times, possibly turning up the power & adjusting the focus in the process.

But many lead bags aren't thick enough to significantly weaken the strength of x-rays and you may as well wear a tin-foil hat for all the protection it gives
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
never EVER put film in checked bags w/ or w/o a lead bag. As alanRow said - the machines that screen checked luggage are much stronger than the ones ude for carry ons.

A lead bag isn't very helpful in checked luggage - and isn't needed at all for carry on. The x-ray machines for hand luggage will not damage any but the very fastest speed films.

So unless you are taking many flights (the x-rays are cumulative) just carry it on and don't even worry too much if you can't get hand screening.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:47 AM
ira

What's "undeveloped film"?

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Carry your film with you. Do not put it in your checked luggage...it will be ruined.

Contrary to popular belief, the Xray machines for carry-on luggage cannot be "turned up" to increase power. The machine takes a single snapshot of whatever is passed through it. Just like when you have an xray at the doctor's office.

If you see them fiddling with the knobs, they are just adjusting the contrast & brightness.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:26 AM

If convenient I have my film processed in Europe before I return. One hour photo shops are in major cities, probably where your flight departs. X-rays have no effect on processed film.