Under the Tuscan Sun

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under the Tuscan Sun

I know that new movie with Diane Lane, Under the Tuscan Sun, is set in Italy but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the series of books it was based on. The story line has a lot to do with traveling, the culture of Italy and Italian cooking. Just curious. thanks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:38 PM

Under the Tuscan Sun: At Home in Italy
by Frances Mayes.
Other than that, no idea!
Try Amazon.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:43 PM

Note that the film is based LOOSELY on the book. They've changed just about everything except the fact that an American woman buys an old house in Tuscany and fixes it up.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:46 PM

Marilyn has it right. I loved the book but the movie previews I have seen do not look too parallel/familiar! I can't wait to see it anyway, just to see Tuscany again!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:55 PM

I heard that in the movie she goes to Tuscany by herself and she fell in love with a Good LOOKING, Italian Stallion...
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:59 PM

kismet, that's sure what it looks like from the trailers. Well, I'll go see anything set in Tuscany, that's for sure.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:00 PM

From what I've seen of the trailers, much of it is apparently set in Positano and Rome.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:50 PM

Happened to catch a preview yesterday on HGTV. Even the short clip was decidedly different than the book, and it sure didn't make me want to add it to my "must see" list.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:17 PM

I just read a review of the movie and apparently the title is the only thing in common with the book. Frances Mayes did write two books and a photo book which is beatiful. Under the Tuscan Sun (which chronicles the purchasing and rebuilding of her home with her now husband), Bella Tuscany (which describes her travels throughout Tuscany, Venice and Sicily-my favorite fwiw) and In Tuscany (which focuses more on recipes and photos.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the warning on this film. I suppose the personal life of a middle-aged, upper middle class working divorcee who'd already hooked up with an American poet as her soulmate before coming to Italy, as depicted in the Mayes books, wasn't hot enough for Hollywood. No raunchy night life, etc. So they changed it all.....but decided to keep the title to mislead anyone who'd read the books.....
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:10 AM

I guess I'm one who cares little about whether a movie is an exact duplicate of a book. Rarely does a book make a good movie when followed exactly -- first because it is far too detailed. Can you read the entire book in an hour and a half or two hours?

Many movies are not based on books and are still entertaining. Why not forget about the book and go to see a movie for its own sake, rather than trying to insist it be a match of the story of the book???
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:04 AM

Patrick, Actually, I agree with you. I'm really just objecting to the use of the book's title as far too misleading based on comments of what the film is about. I don't mind "loose" adaptations of books. But, this one sounds a bit too loose. Should come with a disclaimer! Or, a change in title. So it can succeed or fail on its own merits.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:29 AM

Agreed that it will succeed or fail on its own merits, but there are many films that did not follow the book and the result was even better. Has anyone read Forest Gump? You'd never imagine that the film could be so good.

Granted I liked Frances Mayes books (and when seeing the preview it made me reallize why Peter Mayle probably has refused film opportunities!). But I thought even her books could use a little "umph". While the movie may go overboard, it might turn out to be a real winner.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:44 AM

I have a movie based on Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence, done on four tapes, one for each season. It's described as "an A&E Home Movie." Don't think it ever hit the theaters, probably just TV. In any case, with John Thaw (whom I love; so sorry we lost him so young) as Peter Mayle how could they go wrong? Follows the book well IMO.

Using a book title for a movie if it is totally a different story makes no sense to me. Write a new plot and name it whatever you wish, but for heavens sake if you make a movie based on a book, let it be that. Again just MO.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:51 AM

I recently finished "Under the Tuscan Sun" and will start "Bella Tuscany" when I complete another project.

In the book, the author is happily married to another American (both from SF/Bay Area) and they seek and find a deserted farmhouse which they purchase and renovate, living there in the summers only.

Quite an amusing take on the Italian method of doing business, with plumbers, bankers, electricians, farmers/gardeners and wall builders figuring prominently.

Lots of yummy recipes and tales of beauty during frustrations.

Few or no Italian stallions.

But I'll see the movie even if it is diametrically opposite of the "sweet married couple" book.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:16 AM

In order to appeal to that all-important younger demographic, I'd read that the studio considered changing the name of the movie to Dude, Where's My Chianti?
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:36 AM

No, Capo, it would have to be "Dude, Who Stole My Fiat Uno?"!!!!

BC
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:43 AM

I saw that 4-hr movie series about the Peter Mayle book, I think it was produced by BBC. Peter Mayle is not about to turn down any money for anything IMO. It didn't grab me that much, but neither did his books as I don't care for his writing or general ideas.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:48 AM

Not to sound shallow but my husband was way more excited about seeing the movie once he saw Diane Lane was playing Frances Mayes-talk about a stretch!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:36 PM

I rather liked the tv series based on A Year in Provence -- liked it better than the books actually.

Very funny, capo and bookchick!

Koshka, I'll be seeing the movie also, unless the little man has left his chair. (Sorry, non-Bay-Area-residents. That's an inside reference for those who read the SF Chronicle.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -