Search

Umbria where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umbria where to stay

Hi everyone
My daughter and I are thinking of stopping for one night somewhere in Umbria after three nights in Florence and on our way to Rome. We will be travelling by train. Any suggestions of where to stay and also places to stay. Thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:57 AM

The real Italy experts on this board will correct me if I am wrong on this.

And as we have just had a FLOOD (due to an overflowing sink upstairs) in the corner of the basement where ALL my travel maps were stored (!!) I cannot verify at the moment.

BUT:

I think the main line Florence-Chiusi-Rome runs exclusively through Tuscany and Lazio. Umbria would be a detour.

Is that what you meant to do? Or am I in error in my facts?

So I would not detour to Umbria without considering easy Tuscan options, like Arezzo -- whose train station BTW is QUITE convenient to the historic centre.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that info. I hadn't thought of that I will now go and look further into the train trip to see if going to Umbria is practical or not.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:26 AM

HI Emylou,

Well, if you're looking for a good place to stop for the night between Florence and Rome, I'd suggest Orvieto. Lots to see and do there--great churches, Etruscan necropolis, interesting series of underground caves. Don't know whether it's on the train line though.

Have fun!

Patti
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Orvieto is about an hour by train from Rome. We had 3 nights there and loved it, very atmospheric and everything within an easy walk. The Duomo is fabulous, there are nice shops and cafes, we did the underground tour etc. Orvieto is a medieval hilltop town, you get off the train then catch a funicular straight up the side of the hill to the town at the top. We stayed at the Hotel Valentino which was fine. Not much English spoken there. There are a couple of nice hotels quite close to the Duomo, if you do a search on this forum you should find some good info.
Kay
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:27 AM

We just returned and took the train from Rome to Florence, stopping for the day in Orvieto. It is a direct train.

I would second a vote for Orvieto. While we did not sleep there, we greatly enjoyed our day there. The Duomo is incredible and we also took the underground Etruscan cave tour...very neat. DEFINATELY eat at Il Sette Consoli, can't say enough great things about their food and atmosphere.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your information. We were quite keen to go to Sienna and Assisi. Do you think it would be best to stay another day in Florence and do these on day trips from there? Or perhaps we scrap these altogether and stop at Orvieto on the way to Rome. This seems to be an easier option as it is on the train line to Rome.