Umbria - Spring Travel

Search

Umbria - Spring Travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umbria - Spring Travel

I'm thinking about going to Umbria in the spring time. Does anybody know what the weather will be like during that time? It's somewhat unclear from what I've read. Also, I need information about the best places to stay. I did look at this site :

http://www.italianvisits.com/umbria/

and found it very useful, but I would like to know if anybody has any specific suggestions of hotels, agriturismos or day trips worthwhile.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Biz

I have stayed twice at the Palazzo Bocci in Spello and really enjoyed it. The first time we had a suite with beautiful fresceoed ceilings and the second time we were on more of a budget but still had a small sitting room and private terrace. Spello is a charming little hilltown which is about 15 minutes from Asissi and has plenty of great shopping/dining etc. but is fairly off the beaten path.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM
GBC

We visited Umbria in May and loved it. The weather was to cool for swimming but clear and warm - excellent for touring. We frequently ate outside.

Palazzo Bocci, noted above, sounds nice. We were very pleased at Romentik Hotel Villa de Montesolare which is at Colle san Paolo, near Tavernelle.
http://www.villamontesolare.it/

Karen Brown publishes a guide to Tuscany and Umbria which may be helpful to you. We have enjoyed many of her selected places including Montesolare. Some of them are listed on her website with links to the properties.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Hmmm ! You seem to really like that website---do I smell a bit of promotion here?
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Another vote for the Palazzo Bocci, which is a lovely little hotel: beautifully appointed rooms, lovely views, splendid public rooms, and an excellent restaurant across the street.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 05:01 AM

We were in Umbria last Easter for a friend's wedding in the hills above Assisi. Assisi was packed because of all of the Easter festivites (including the Good Friday procession) so we also stayed at Palazzo Bocci in Spello. We had been to Spello the fall before for a wine tasting at Enoteca Properzio which was fantastic. It is actually across the street from Plazzao Bocci. The first time we went we were with our guide, Anne Robichaud from http://www.annesitaly.com. She is an American that has lived in Italy for 30 years or so. She is a certified Italian guide for Umbria. Due to the fact we were with Anne the whole time the first visit to Spello, we didn't realize how little English is spoken in Spello compared to Assisi. We ran into some problems at some restaurnts etc, due to our lack of Italian. (Our fault) The people at Plazzo Bocci speak English and were a realy help. Spello is really great place.
The weather in the beginning of April
was great. I think it was in the high 60's or so. We only wore light jackets and we are from Florida.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Hi loveC,

I also stayed at Palazzo Bocci at Eloise's recommendation and loved it and the tiny, beautiful town of Spello.
I almost hate to add to the list of fans, it already is hard to get a reservation there. Book now!

Do a search here for "Dayle's Solo Trip to Italy" if you would like to read about my days in Umbria. At the end of the report.

Buon viaggio!