www.apmperugia.it
www.atcterni.it
www.sulga.it
www.spoletina.it

and the trains:

www.ferroviedellostato.it
www.fcu.it
Oct 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM

thanks for the sites and getting around Umbria, like Tuscany, by public transports is very very easy IME - lots of buses going everywhere. No need for a car here and all the entailing finding parking in hill towns, etc. Buses take you right to near the top of the hill and the ubiquitous church crowning the hill.
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:42 PM

I've traveled in Umbria exclusively on trains (taxis as needed). I know most people like the freedom of a car here and Tuscany but I guess I like the freedom of not driving. I should do more with busses, though.

Thanks for the links.
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM

GAC, I just want to say that you provide some unbelievably useful information on practical matters in Italy and I'm nor sure many posters have registered that, so I'd like to point it out. Thank you.
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM

ditto - i based once in Perugia and spent a lovely week day tripping from that base by bus to gems like Gubbio, Todi and even Urbino - Assisi, Cortona and many other neat towns are easily reached by bus or train - and the bus takes you right to the top of the hill towns - cars often have park below and hoof it up. Many like the freedom of driving and that's fine but you do not need a car to get around Umbria easily - the bus system is especially frequent, as GAC's links show. Tip - buy your ticket before getting on the bus - either from a bus depot kiosk or tobacconist, caffe, etc - not sold on buses i took at least. And then cancel the ticket on the bus in a machine when boarding or give to driver.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM

GAC, thanks so much for posting this. We are starting to plan for a trip in 2011 and have decided to use Perugia (thanks to annw) as a base so this is of particular interest.

We like to use public transport as well and leave the stress of driving/parking etc behind, we do enough of this at home!