Ultimate Austrian trip

Old Sep 24th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Austrian trip

Hello, I am traveling in the Alps (extended trip) focusing on the best nature + viewpoint, and gastronomy. Please let me know if the following information is correct (availability of the food, specific region it belongs to), and where to find the best valleys, and viewpoints in the Alps. Your suggestions, and corrections are appreciated.

-tirol - ziller valley - Kalkkögel eat: cheese dumplings, Nidai

-hohe tauern nat park - eissee lake - grossglochner hochalpenstrasse (how to enjoy this area for free)? - matrei (europa panoramaweg) - kriml falls

-salzburg - shloss mirabell - old town - untersberg - Mönchsberg -salzkammergut - Berchtesgaden jenner mt, koningsee - eat: tafelspitz - knoblauchsuppe - salzburger nockerl - mozartkugeln - Nidai

-upper austria - kalkalpen nat park - Gmnuden, Dachstein eat: Linzer torte - Linzeraugen - dumplings

-steiermark - Gesäuse nat park eat; pumpkinseed oil to salad - Heidensterz-

-karnten - nockberge nat park - Drau valley - eat: Reindling - Kasnudeln - Kletzennudeln - Glundner Kas -Reindling - sturm wine

-voralberg - bregenz forest eat: Käsknöpfle and Kässpätzle, cheese dumplings, fried bread

These foods i want to try, but I don't know which region they are from:

eat: cordon bleu - kaiserschmaren (mountain cranberry sauce) - Zwetschkenröster - wiezenbier (is this the same as Belgain white beer)? - powidl jam - Topfenstrudel - Mohnstrudel - Milchrahmstrudel - sweet cheese danish with raisin (what's this called)? - Mohr Im Hemd - Topfenknodel - - Marillenknödel
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

We loved the Zillertal. The farther south you go into the valley (it's not that long a valley) the more dramatic the scenery. We stayed in Finkenburg near the southern end of the Zillertal. Spectacular!

Mohr im Hemd is my favorite thing to have in Austria. It's a dessert and sometimes tough to find.

Paul
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:50 AM

You can find Mohr im Hemd in Saltzburg. We had a good one in the Pedestrian Zone across the river from the Castle (can't remember the name of the place but can look it up, if you want.) Kaiserschmarren is a sweet pancake with raisins, broken up, dusted with powdered sugar, sometimes a fruit puree and whipped cream. It is very good, also. Enjoy! CJ
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Great questions! I have some things to add:
Salzburg - Esterhazy torte
Berchtesgaden - Kaiserschmarrn, Germknodel mit Mohn, Strammer Max, Zwetchkendaschi, cordon bleu, schweinhaxen.

My mouth is watering just thinking of these things!!
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:58 AM
ira

Hi S,

I recommend the Salzburg Card.

I higlhy recommend staying at http://www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home%29

Enjoy your visit.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 05:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
How are you getting around Austria?
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 08:35 AM
DAX

For your gastronomic guide: http://www.austrianrecipes.net/2009/...f-austria.html
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 09:12 AM

I scanned your list and didn't see any fish dishes, mostly "heavy" food. People in the Alps eat lots of salads and fresh vegetables.
In Switzerland, the blausee trout is tasty, as are egli and fera. I'm sure there are Austrian equivalents. Especially trout - fresh trout from mountain waters - delicious.